Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice place to live in east london?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

have a budget of 700 pcm would that be fair i'd be pulling 500 after tax a wk?

looking for a nice area to live in east london will have a work van but would like to be able to go into the city too so will need public transport so any ideas and please no ****holes i've lived in one all my ****ing life :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

We're in Leytonstone, which is quiet, and has had a bad name in the past with gangs..we havent seen any of it tho and now it's going through a gentrification process; there's a hipster pub, a Costa, community garden and organic stall..still very rough around the edges but not the worst, and the rent is very reasonable compared to other places... well connected to the a12, you get on via a slip road or roundabout...

Leyton I dont know much about but it's closer to Stratford which gets rough sometimes...

Depends really on how long of a commute you want..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Walthamstow is about a fifteen min bus from me, and it is nice too, some dodgy places again but it is another area being 'done up'... good access as well, as it's on the Victoria line and there ia a rail line also. If I were you I would take an afternoon and visit areas to get a feel for them?

As you drive access is important, but either way youre only going to be twenty/twenty five minutes from central London on the tube (Leytonstone-Liverpool Street is 17 mins or something). Night buses too, bring you home :)

Any further really than Walthamstow and youre tipping into Essex :D

would 700 be a good figure or do you think i could afford more or whats the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

sparks24 wrote: »
    would 700 be a good figure or do you think i could afford more or whats the rule?

Hey Sparks,

Also living in Leytonstone area, as Ladymaybelle said it's a little rough around the edges but it seems to have it's own community thing going on and there's a lot worse areas. If it's just you moving somewhere and you're willing to house share you could prob get a decent place in this neck of the woods for a bit less than 700 pcm. That being said the Olympics is coming up and you will find some places that will have hiked up the rent.

Keep in mind East London will be choc a bloc with a lot of the Olympic events taking place in Stratford, are you in a hurry to move?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It depends on how far you want to go.

On the rail line from Liverpool St - Harold Wood which is just on the edge of the M25 is really nice. You can get into Liverpool St in the city in about 35 minutes from there. If you want to move closer then you have other options such as Gidea Park, Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes, or even closer still Manor Park, or Stratford. Stratford will get you into Liverpool Street in 7 minutes, but is going to be hotly contested around the Olympics.

As for your links:

Seven Kings - shouldn't take much more than 25 minutes into the city on the train.
    Walthamstow seems fine although I don't have the most experience. You'll have the same advantages with the trains from Walthamstow Central.

I think LadyMaybelle is bang on about Leytonstone. Personally, I find it really nice around there. I didn't know about its reputation with gangs though :)

philologos wrote: »
    I think LadyMaybelle is bang on about Leytonstone. Personally, I find it really nice around there. I didn't know about its reputation with gangs though :)

I didnt either till some of the kids in school told me about it being a gang spot!! But honestly, Ive never seen or heard anything myself :) Def have a walk around and get a feel for it first tho, there are some nice places in Upper Leytonstone, near the forest and Wanstead Flats, and some equally nice 'villagey feeling spots' between Leytonstone and Wanstead.

thanks alot for the heads up just needed a bit of an idea if that side of london wasn't too bad so a good walkabout is needed before i commit to anywhere i think

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Just moved into a place near dulwich, just like home i.e. Near Ranelagh feel, beautiful small corner shops with great quality & there's an Irish shop down on the road in towards the city so you're sorted if ya miss the tayto or clon sausages!
    Bare in mind though wherever ya move to about the council taxes, kinda knocked me off keel for a sec when I saw how much the yearly bill was but then looked around at the amazingly well kept streets & parks & amenities and concluded it's well worth the extra bill. Something the lads at home should consider now with that property tax and how home should be managed financially better locally post fianna fail era..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'd recommend Wanstead, close to Leytonstone.

It's very villagey but has all the usual conveniences without being submerged by mini cab firms and fried chicken/kebab emporiums.

Easy access to central London from Wanstead/Snaresbrook on the central line.

An Irish friend of mine currently lives there and he loves it.

• Advertisement

We're in Leytonstone, which is quiet, and has had a bad name in the past with gangs..we havent seen any of it tho and now it's going through a gentrification process; there's a hipster pub, a Costa, community garden and organic stall..still very rough around the edges but not the worst, and the rent is very reasonable compared to other places... well connected to the a12, you get on via a slip road or roundabout...

Leyton I dont know much about but it's closer to Stratford which gets rough sometimes...

Depends really on how long of a commute you want..

What and where is this hipster pub you speak of, LadyMayBelle?

Or is it top secret? :)

I'd say it's the Red Lion she's referring to.

Sure as hell isn't the Sheepwalk...

fluke wrote: »

Spot on! Although the North Star has started having great sunday sessions in the beer garden

Yeah that's an alright spot when there's no football on.

It's hidden too... kinda like someone decided to stick a pub in a housing area

Haven't quite made up my mind on The Red Lion. Can't stand O'Neills for nights out. Wetherspoons is ok at times

Looks like a grand spot, actually. I'll try and get over there soon, even though it's well out of my manor!

I'm expecting Serge Gainsbourg (on vinyl), real ale and weird beards.

E11 must be where it's at these days.

:pac:

Looks like a grand spot, actually. I'll try and get over there soon, even though it's well out of my manor!

I'm expecting Serge Gainsbourg (on vinyl), real ale and weird beards.

E11 must be where it's at these days.

:pac:
    Never Wetherspoons! Well give us a shout if you or Fluke are heading to the Red Lion or the North Star; the Sunday after next in the North Star they will have that music in the back garden, it was great last week; literally some local djs who have moved to the area and asked could they some stuff. Red Lion is grand for going out around 10 or 11, bit like a crèche at weekends during the day with all the buggies!

E11 is def improving, check out the Leytonstone Festival from July 12th-22nd too...

Never Wetherspoons! Well give us a shout if you or Fluke are heading to the Red Lion or the North Star; the Sunday after next in the North Star they will have that music in the back garden, it was great last week; literally some local djs who have moved to the area and asked could they some stuff. Red Lion is grand for going out around 10 or 11, bit like a crèche at weekends during the day with all the buggies!

E11 is def improving, check out the Leytonstone Festival from July 12th-22nd too...

Cheers LadyMayBelle - a good plan!

Both those pubs sound like my cup of tea, with good music and whatnot.

Mind you, I'm more a lounge lizard than a hipster these days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's good to see that a number of people are living on the east end :)

Mr_Spaceman: I'd second Wanstead actually, also Aldersbrook, which is sandwiched between Manor Park, Ilford, and Wanstead.

Well Wetherspoons only for the odd chat without having to shout into someone's ear.

As for the North Star will keep that in mind LadyMayBelle

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/walthamstow-is-best-place-to-rent-in-london-7807368.html Its a bit rough around the edges but its great for transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Where's good at the weekends for a few beers lads in Leytonstone, just moved into the area and would be nice to meet a few people. I'm 22

Welcome Bluezar!

Hurray there are a few of us East now! Good mix of ages too I see from the other thread; late twenties here (alright pushing it a bit!) but there are a few early and mid twenties too..

The Leytonstone Festival is coming up from July 12-22nd.. www.leytonstonefestival.org.uk (link has been broken today but google a bit). There is a brochure in pdf and available from the library and certain cafes/pubs. Lots on, gigs, theatre, music, comedy, beer.. there is a twice monthly craft market too.

These people have a great few gigs and nights too: http://www.whatscookin.co.uk/wchome.html

The Red Lion is a good spot but I tend to see it as somewhere you head later on, after you've had afew drinks maybe in the North Star? :) Both do good food and have beer gardens.

Quiz on Mondays in the Red Lion too..never ventured, but someday maybe....

Also, I mentioned to Fluke and Woolly Jumper last week about this place:
    http://woodstreetmarket.com/... about a twenty minute walk from Leytonstone but a ncie venture..nothing esle in that area really but worth a looksee.

Twitter users in Leytonstone are becoming increasing active too, so if you use it, get searching

Go go Leytonstone!

Welcome Bluezar!

Hurray there are a few of us East now! Good mix of ages too I see from the other thread; late twenties here (alright pushing it a bit!) but there are a few early and mid twenties too..

The Leytonstone Festival is coming up from July 12-22nd.. www.leytonstonefestival.org.uk (link has been broken today but google a bit). There is a brochure in pdf and available from the library and certain cafes/pubs. Lots on, gigs, theatre, music, comedy, beer.. there is a twice monthly craft market too.

These people have a great few gigs and nights too: http://www.whatscookin.co.uk/wchome.html

The Red Lion is a good spot but I tend to see it as somewhere you head later on, after you've had afew drinks maybe in the North Star? :) Both do good food and have beer gardens.

Quiz on Mondays in the Red Lion too..never ventured, but someday maybe....

Also, I mentioned to Fluke and Woolly Jumper last week about this place:
    http://woodstreetmarket.com/... about a twenty minute walk from Leytonstone but a ncie venture..nothing esle in that area really but worth a looksee.

Twitter users in Leytonstone are becoming increasing active too, so if you use it, get searching

Go go Leytonstone!

Leytonstone - Brought to you by LadyMayBelle Inc. ;)

Leytonstone - Brought to you by LadyMayBelle Inc. ;)

No money has been exchanged...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

No money has been exchanged...:rolleyes:

Except for that transfer from Ulsterbank that was just resting in your account, right? ;)

No money (officially) has been exchanged...:rolleyes:
    Fysh wrote: »
    Except for that transfer from Ulsterbank that was just resting in your account, right? ;)

Aaah...

For legal reasons I am no longer obliged to reply on this forum...:D

Looking forward to seeing some of ye over the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 udonwannado

Hi Sparks, I just moved to walthamstow 2 months ago and although its handy for me to get to work with the victoria line, there's very little else here. I've tried quite a few pubs and they're just not great. We've started going out in leytonstone instead, o'neills isnt too bad. £2 pints for a couple of hours on friday nights. The north star is a good spot, good for football too.
    I think leytonstone is more expensive now because of the olympics so keep that in mind. Also, when I was looking for flats gumtree seemed to be full of dodgy ads for flats. I wasted a lot of phone calls on people who seemed to be advertising flats that weren't available. Best of luck.

Am I reading this right? A room in an apartment would cost 700 pounds a month??:eek: I was thinking about doing a hospital pre reg in London. Won't be able to with that kinda rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Am I reading this right? A room in an apartment would cost 700 pounds a month??:eek: I was thinking about doing a hospital pre reg in London. Won't be able to with that kinda rent.

I wouldn't freak out too much about that figure, you can get really decent places in London for much less! Right now, anywhere East is climbing in price because of Olympic lets and certain areas are definitely better value than others, but Gumtree will generally give you a good idea of how much to budget for rent. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't pay more than 500, tbh, for a room in a flat or house.

Oh also, just to add - I'm fairly sure the OP is looking for a flat on his/her own, not a room in a flatshare. Hence the higher price!

Advertisement