Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdip/pdge

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm thinking about doing the online PDGE course. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this using only one subject?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

If its the Hibernia course you're referring to I think the answer is no, you must take two subjects to fulfil the course requirements. I think you're still entitled to take part in the course even if your original degree qualification only gives you merit to do one registered subject-its basically just your loss that one of your subjects you ll spend time and energy researching might be unusable.
    Possibly if you communicate to the teaching council they can advise you what second subject might be registerable from your degree. Rule of thumb is that it should form 30% or more of a 3 or more year degree course. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

The thing is, I did two subjects as part of my degree but have NO interest in teaching one of them. I would rather only be qualified to teach the one I am interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

There are two things to consider here. Firstly if you don't teach the second subject during your hdip year you may never get the methodology part of the hdip (possibly) needed to be qualified to teach it in the future. Secondly, I don't wish to be rude but it will be very difficult to get a job if you're only willing to teach one thing! Maybe you should think some more on whether you really want to do teaching at all? If you do, then grit your teeth for the year and teach the subject you don't like so that at least you'll be qualified to teach it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Chris68 wrote: »
    There are two things to consider here. Firstly if you don't teach the second subject during your hdip year you may never get the methodology part of the hdip (possibly) needed to be qualified to teach it in the future. Secondly, I don't wish to be rude but it will be very difficult to get a job if you're only willing to teach one thing! Maybe you should think some more on whether you really want to do teaching at all? If you do, then grit your teeth for the year and teach the subject you don't like so that at least you'll be qualified to teach it!

Why would I question whether I really want to do teaching at all when the reason I only want to teach the one subject is because that is the one that I am enthusiastic about and love teaching? Part of the reason, in my opinion, that we have so many rubbish teachers in this country, is because people try to teach as many subjects as possible just to get a job. The two subjects I did in my degree don't go together anyway in terms of positions that are being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

BadAngel wrote: »
    Why would I question whether I really want to do teaching at all when the reason I only want to teach the one subject is because that is the one that I am enthusiastic about and love teaching? Part of the reason, in my opinion, that we have so many rubbish teachers in this country, is because people try to teach as many subjects as possible just to get a job. The two subjects I did in my degree don't go together anyway in terms of positions that are being offered.

Not true and a very sweeping statement to make. :confused:
    Teachers want to teach the subjects they are qualified in, not "as many as possible just to get a job". Have you heard of the teaching council?

You will find it nearly impossible to get a full job with only one subject.
    Why would a school employ someone with one subject when they can employ someone with two?
    It would not be in your best interest to express your unwillingness to teach your second subject if you do go for the Hibernia interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement