Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new DSLR

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all.
    I'm looking at getting a new DSLR as mine is quite old and only entry level.
    I was wondering if anybody has any that they could recommend?
    I'm not too pushed about any particular brands.
    Preferably in and around €500 if possible, and with video recording if that's at all possible for that price range.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

What does your current one not do that you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 0utcast

Two things mainly:
    - It's an Olympus, so any accessories specific to the camera are a bugger to find.
    - It doesn't have video recording, which I'm very keen to get into.

Some quick Googling brought up the Nikon D3100.
    Anybody have any experience of this, any idea what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I know someone that has one, they're happy enough with it. I've no idea about the video quality on it though, you might want to read up on it if that's important to you. At least with a Nikon you won't have any more issues getting any accessories compared to your Olympus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

€500 for a new DSLR is quite a tight budget so I would recommend picking up a second hand Nikon D200 which was and still is an excellent camera (I had it for two years).

Check adverts.ie for some second hand ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

For that price range you can buy a d5100 or a d3100, both over 12mp and hd video. For a bit more even the d3200.

Canon has the 500d and the 1100d for that price too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

0utcast wrote: »
    Some quick Googling brought up the Nikon D3100.

Quick Googling brings up the D3100 because of SEO, not quality of the camera. Do some more research in the likes of DP Review or Steve's Digicams before you decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

lumix gh1 / gh2 i think is very popular for the video.
    id def recommend panasonic, ive done some decent ish stuff with a gf1. check out the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFnhzYduF0&feature=g-upl

the sound is mono, straight from the camera, video setting is on high contrast b+w, it works for the band anyway. 20mm pancake lens, does really well in low light.

youtube is great for checking out the video quality of different cameras but beware of some that look amazing , have been edited and arent straight out of the camera.

Thanks all for the response, I think I might go with the D3100 since I found a second hand one for sale near me.

Thank you all!

Advertisement