Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

offering to do unpaid work

Options
  • 13-06-2012 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I am getting more and more fed up at the ever increasing gap since my last time of employment.
    So, I thought I might offer to do some unpaid work for someone I know.
    Its a small business just getting off the ground and noone there is even taking a wage yet and I thought I would offer to do some administrative work for them for free. Not much, just 2 or 3 mornings a week. I am on JSA so I know I would have to be free to take up full time work should I find some, but til then how would I go about informing the SW or do I even tell them. I'd definitely not get paid for this work, not even get thrown €20 at end of week or anything but I am going demented and would love to have some sort of recent employment history and someone I could use as a reference too. I dont even know if this business would be open to me doing this for them, I just wanted to know they were, could anyone foresee any problems with the SW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Say nothing, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

I am doing some volunteer work also as it prevents a gap in your cv< i would def recomend it, even if only few hours a week like me. I think u are suppose to fill out a form if working unpaid as the sw told me and gave me a form but i never returned it, hate filling out forms. Its not like your scamming anyone out of money so i dont think it should matter, although i dont know the exact reasons they need to know this. Its like they have to keep eye on everythink u do... forget it!! Think i rem them saying they need to know about the job that exists and is filled non payed. ? or something like that!Maybe prevents people taking advantage??

Someone esle might enlighten me here????!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Applying for the Voluntary Work Option

The jobseeker or the voluntary organisation/group involved should request an application form VW1 from their Local Office ... The completed application form should be sent to the Local Office and a Deciding Officer will determine whether the jobseeker may take up the work in question without affecting entitlement to their jobseekers payment.

Decisions in relation to Voluntary Work

In considering an application, the Deciding Officer will determine whether the work concerned is voluntary within the meaning of the scheme and whether the jobseeker would continue to satisfy the statutory conditions for getting the jobseekers payment. The Deciding Officer will need to be satisfied that the jobseeker is available to take up employment, if offered it, and that they are making genuine efforts to find work. This applies whether the voluntary work is full or part-time.

While it is not possible to lay down hard and fast rules as to what constitutes voluntary work the position should be clear in most cases. Factors to be taken into account will include:
    the type of work involved
    the aims and standing of the voluntary body
    the weekly hours worked
    the amount of any payment received by way of out-of-pocket expenses

The voluntary work would normally involve only a few hours a day or a few days a week but full-time involvement in voluntary activities would not necessarily be ruled out. However, there should be no implication of job replacement or cheap labour.
    Any payment for the voluntary work should generally be limited to out-of-pocket expenses such as travelling expenses or meal allowances.

http://www.volunteer.ie/Social-Welfare-Requirements,104.html

and
    Voluntary work and social welfare payments http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/voluntary_work_and_social_welfare_payments.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

So, say nothing, be grand?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If I may draw your attention to item 7 of the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Theres always a risk factor. How do you prove you were doing it for nothing and how does your ''employer'' prove he had no taxable gain ? This seriously messed up Republic jailed someone for 6 years for mislabeling Garlic for tax purposes while developers who cost the state billions are in Poznan watching the Germany/Netherlands game. I wouldn't want as a small fish to take unnecessary chances without investigating first if there was some scheme or way of getting permission legally. Maybe you can do the same work but get paid on one of the internship schemes and build up stamps at the same time ? Go ask at FAS/CitizensAdvice centres and at the dole office about unpaid work and see what they say. You can ring all 3 places anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

i like to do things by the book when it comes to the SW so i reckon i will give them a phone as ask if it is a possibility and let them know that it will not stop me looking for full time work. The business is only starting up and all grants etc that they are receiving is being funnelled back into it. They have to account for every penny they get and at the moment they cant afford to spare it on administration. Hence why I would like to help them out. Plus I am a great believer in its easier to find a job when you have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

your right, its better to be working at something, will stand to u in the future, as for the social welfare......i stand by say nothing, be grand!!!!whatever.....

Internship schemes sounds like a good idea also!! u could do both!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The next person to advise the OP to say nothing to Social Welfare will be permanently banned from this forum.
    If MariMel is working, paid or not, she may be seen as not available for work on that day, and could be investigated and assessed with an overpayment.
    Posters are advised to read the forum charter.

Advertisement