Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you love and hate about yourself?

• 13-06-2012 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd get people opinions on this topic because everyone is different.
    So what do you like about yourself? And what aren't you so keen on and would change?

I've always loved my hair. Have to be honest. The colour, the feel (it's really soft) and the length (my barber is great). Have no split ends either. Hate split ends tbh. They drive me insane.

Yet I always thought I was lacking in certain "areas". I mean my arms really suck if I'm honest...

Anyways, since that's all out.. Go ahead..

*awaits awkward silence*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I like that I have two different colour eyes; green and brown. It makes me different and has struck up a conversation with new people on occassion :D

I don't like that I worry a lot. I always think the worst during exam time and generally freak out. I always tell people to avoid me during exam week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I like that I am always right about absolutely everything.

I dislike that I am a person to which ill-founded disagreements are directed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have many wonderful qualities but I am also deeply flawed, just like everybody else. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I like that I'm quite independent and I can be random at times.

I dislike that can procrastinate a lot. I'm also kind of shy and quiet at times , only when I don't really know many people. I'm quite easy to talk to. I think way too much about everything and anything...and second guessing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

I like that I'm incredible out going and will talk to anyone and tend to get on with most people. I like that i have strong opionons and not afraid to stand by them. I like how may hair looks nice today, without even running a brush through it.

I don't like that i have strong issues with my appearance and weight and i don't have the ability to talk to people about it because I'm afraid people with think I'm being stupid or silly, even though it gets me down on a daily basis. I also don't like I don't want a relationship like ever, I've major commitment issues with everything and everyone (i know I'm young but still!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Like:

That I have a good sense of humour, and often make people laugh even if I'm only talking to them for a while. I kind of like that I'm idealistic too, in a weird way. And that I'm a good listener and a fairly helpful person. I'm charitable too, or at least would be if I had money, so I guess that's a good thing! I'm relatively smart too, so I like that. (Trying to get as many likes as dislikes here before I hit "reply". :pac:)

Dislike:

That I can sometimes be shy around people I don't know well. And that I can be quiet (sometimes :P) even when I'm in my closest group of friends. I'm not a huge fan of my own indecisiveness either. (Or am I?) :P Also dislike that I can be pretty lazy with regards to study and stuff. And that I'm a bit too introverted sometimes, although I don't mind being an introvert at all. :) Finally, I dislike how impossible it is for me to get really fit - as in able to run for ages, or sprint really fast. I'm terrible at the latter! Oh and my least favourite thing is the old bottling up of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I like that I'm independent and a hard worker, I can easily motivate myself to get something done. I like how I tan really easily too, if I sit in the sun for a few hours

I hate how I'm fairly short (5ft1) and how I'm seriously impatient. I need to sort it out. I also hate how I literally cannot function whatsoever without minimum 10+ hours sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Odd, I was contemplating this myself today before I even knew of this thread's existence.

I'm not very good at finding things I like about myself...I quite like the colour of my hair I suppose, hairdressers are always complimenting it. I like that I can be quite funny when I'm in the form for it, I think I'm quite nice really and I like that I'm reasonably intelligent in the kind of way that I know I can do pretty much anything I want with my life college-wise (with the right amount of work put in), which makes me incredibly lucky tbh and I actually don't realise it nearly enough of the time. Oh, and I have a ridiculously good memory! Always helps with the creeping people out.

Dislikes...err what may be my biggest flaw is the fact that I cannot stand not being liked, it's really bad tbh. It's hard to even rationalise it; I mean, anyone I know that doesn't like me, I don't like them either, so why should I care? :confused: But I do. I'm also annoyingly shy at times, and I can be, and often am, insanely awkward. I'm also a chronic worrier and spend the vast majority of my time worrying about things such as breakfast or that stupid thing I said that someone probably took the wrong way and now despises me and is hatching a dastardly plan to boil me alive...or school as of late, damn LC. Really not good -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Personally I liked the unedited version of the thread's original post better :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I like that I don't have a god awful Longford accent.

I hate far too many things to list, I mostly wish I wasn't so awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Ooh, a thread I can contribute to!

Like:
    • I can be rather helpful at times (even if I may not have the best methodology for dispensing assistance :P )

Dislike:
    • Being quiet in the presence of people (with the addition of shy and generally awkward when it comes to people I don't know)
    • My inability to collect my thoughts when trying to think of things like these. I have no idea why, but it just seems so damn difficult to think of a word/phrase to describe what I think of a particular thing (especially when it comes to describing myself :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I contemplate this practically every day, and I'm still not able to come up with a definitive answer tbh..I have a love/hate relationship with myself.. XD

Like: I suppose I like that I'm what would be considered 'smart', its nice to know stuff about stuff and actually want to learn in the first place.. I suppose I like my eyelashes too (random I know..) because theyre really long and people always think theyre fake.. I also like the fact that Im really outgoing around people I dont know (yet I hate that Im so quiet around people I know, but amen't friends with :/), I like that I can eat as much crap as I want and not gain a pound too :cool:

Hate:...this will be a long list tbh... I hate the fact Im such an awkward person, I hate my personality in general, I hate the fact Im **** at picking friends, I hate how Im afraid to be myself around people unless Im either best friends with them or complete strangers, I hate the way I have completely different interests and personality to my friends, I hate the way Im such a loner, I hate how people alienate me because Im a 'nerd', I dont like the way I look and I hate my body, I hate how Im short and I hate how I prefer to be on my own than with other people, I hate how I lie so much, both to myself and others, and I hate my inability to be straight with people about how I feel, I hate how I can be such a slut sometimes and I hate how my family have such high expectations of me, I hate how Im not genuinely close to anyone in my life, I hate how I always want to be somewhere im not, I despise the fact that i wish my life away and cant seem to just live in the moment... In short, I basically hate everything about myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Like:
    • I think I have potential in a few things? Undeveloped potential...
    • I think I can be a little bit creative sometimes? Nothing really above average, but what I like about it is that I enjoy things that involve creativity
    • I can juggle.... Ladies ;)

Dislike:
    • That I can be SUPER lazy and don't develop whatever potential I might have...
    • My stupid Cork accent, actually, like.
    • My near-complete incabability to verbally express pretty much anything coherently...
    • How pale I am...
    • How I'm not fit
    • I feel like I annoy people all the time!
    • I'm rubbish with money
    • The fact that I have a bellybutton... They're like.. the worst body part ever..
    • I can be very socially awkward sometimes
    • I'm rubbish at females
    • I'm really bad with girls
    • Women.. I.. How?
    • I don't feel that I'm outstanding at anything
    • I'm awful at playing soccer
    • I make stupid jokes about everything all the time, and nearly always they fail and it must just be annoying for everyone involved
    • I go so red when I'm embarrassed... Or in the gym: :mad:
    • I have an unimpressive sense of fashion
    • I've sort of been trying to be better with all sorts of rights and ethics and stuff just because it's right but I reckon I just come across as a poser/annoying (example*)
    • I'm really good at gaining weight!
    • How I'm unlikely to try and improve any of the things I dislike...
    • The fact that I'm not Dylan Moran... Can one person be any more cool!!

*Example!! :D I also dislike how Indiego feels like a slut sometimes. You are a strong, independent and sexually liberated woman!! You should never feel ashamed of that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I like that I'm generally okay at everything I do. As in I can play sports, music and get decent enough grades. I like that I've learnt not to care how other people see me, something that has taken a while but I'm proud to be where I am now :D
    I dislike basically all my physical features really. Also don't like how I can forget how to talk people and become insanely awkward in random situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I like the patterns on my palms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

You have no idea how different this post might be if I posted it at a different time. My relationship with myself is ever changing. This will be a narcissistic/self-loathing post.

I like how I'm generally regarded as an intelligent person and I suppose I'm quite good while not being great at everything else like sport, music..etc. I'm terribly thankful to have such an aptitude for academia, I've never had to work hard to get to where I am now and I recognise that what I possess is truly a rare gift.

I like how much better looking I am now than I ever have been. When I look into the mirror I don't see spots or crooked teeth anymore, I now have far clearer skin, a strong jaw and dark hair to contrast my blue/grey eyes.

I dislike how lazy I am. It actually gets me down sometimes. It makes me feel as if I'm squandering the potential future that I could have. It also makes me feel selfish for wasting my talents.

I dislike my body type; being tall and lean. I aim to bulk a lot over the summer. However I plan on playing basketball next year so I may use this to my advantage.

Also akin to many of you I suffer from minor social awkwardness that's taken me years to overcome, but honestly I'm quite confident in myself now so I'll be very ready coming into college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I like my excellent taste in music.

I hate my voice. Man, I hate my voice. I've googled to see if it's possible to have a voice transplant. The worst thing about having my kind of voice is people make all sorts of first impressions of you. I had speech and drama drilled into me when I was a young 'un, stop calling me pompous/camp/trying too hard to be someone I'm not, it's just the voice I have. It's also rather monotone which I try to not do but again...ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I really think I have a preety face. All the lads and gals I know say I have gleaming hazel eyes which is a nice compliment, I guess :D

Preety awkward around the ladies (not really sure why that is..) unless I've alcohol in my bloodstream. It's very odd.

And of course I love my mother. And my non-existant split ends. My hair is as great as Koala's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Like:
    My Hollywood-like good looks

Dislike:
    Nothing, I'm perfect. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Cydoniac wrote: »

I hate my voice. Man, I hate my voice. I've googled to see if it's possible to have a voice transplant. The worst thing about having my kind of voice is people make all sorts of first impressions of you. I had speech and drama drilled into me when I was a young 'un, stop calling me pompous/camp/trying too hard to be someone I'm not, it's just the voice I have. It's also rather monotone which I try to not do but again...ugh.

My voice is one I've often wondered about. I suppose it's not too bad, but when I hear myself played back to me, I cannot stand it!

Very few people can stand to have themselves played back to them.

Not myself though. I lull myself to sleep by listening to a playback of me describing why I'm so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I like that I'm a jack-of-all-trades, not brilliant at anything, but can get by at nearly everything. I like that I can be happy for days on end just in my own company, and I never get lonely no matter where I am. I like that I have an interest in a wide variety of things. I actually like most things about myself :).

I dislike that I'm terrible at making and maintaining conversation with anyone, and then when I am talking I often jumble my words and have to keep correcting myself, then I get all embarrassed :o. I feel very self-conscious when I see people staring at me as well, I don't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Cydoniac wrote: »

I've always thought my voice was weird. I hate when I hear it back I can't listen to myself. I also have a mixed Irish/London accent which is annoying, I say most things in the irish way but they're time where I can be speaking and have a english way of saying a word and irish. My accent really stand out. I can't tell if I have an English or Irish accent most people say its mixed other times people say it's English in England everyone says I sound Irish so it can be quite frustrating having a mixed accent.

I don't like how I'm kind of mono-toned, but strangely enough I like the massive bogger accent I develop over school holidays if all my brothers are home (because for some reason we all talk like boggers when we're all at home, but very rarely apart from that). :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Davidius wrote: »
    Not myself though. I lull myself to sleep by listening to a playback of me describing why I'm so great.

Ya, that would send most people to sleep alright.

Togepi wrote: »
    I don't like how I'm kind of mono-toned, but strangely enough I like the massive bogger accent I develop over school holidays if all my brothers are home (because for some reason we all talk like boggers when we're all at home, but very rarely apart from that). :P
    Lots of young people have a habit of dropping their accent, or the D4ish accent is becoming a lot more prominent. I was down in Waterford and Cork a while ago and heard decidedly South Dublin accents out of the kids. Terrible stuff altogether.

Davidius wrote: »
    Lots of young people have a habit of dropping their accent, or the D4ish accent is becoming a lot more prominent. I was down in Waterford and Cork a while ago and heard decidedly South Dublin accents out of the kids. Terrible stuff altogether.

I'll probably lose some of it when I go to college, (just to be sure everyone can understand me!) but in school it's always been the same really. I'll never develop a South Dublin accent, although I know someone in a rural part of the west of Ireland who somehow developed one before moving to college in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Like:
    - I'm fun to be around (most of the time)
    - I'm generous and honest.

Dislike:

How I get aggravated really easily when it comes to family
    When my cheeks/face go red sometimes.
    How lazy I can be..
    How bad I am at keeping in touch with people.
    That I have a lot of anger.
    I have no talent at anything cause I never pursue anything long enough.
    How that 'be grand' saying has taken over my life. I think everything will be grand and its not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Like:
    - I'm fun to be around (most of the time)

Yeah same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

My favourite thing about myself is my academic excellence. Not having to worry about doing well, and thus not having any pressure or worry over exams etc allows me to do what I want, most of the time, and, I feel, generally shapes my attitude to life quite a lot.

My least favourite thing is my weakness to indulgence. If I am able to have something, and I want it, I generally end up having it, which in the case of unhealthy foods is something I really wish I was better at avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I like the type of person I am, as in I'm kind and always open to different types of people. I am a good listener and can help with problems. I get on great with children and this really helps with my college course :P I'm also a good enough baker. Nothing like fancy swirls on cupcakes or anything but I did just make a really good chocolate cake with choc buttercream and choc ganache and I just love doing it so much :)

There are a good few things I dislike about myself, my appearance and body type for definite. I wouldn't be overweight at all but there are just things I would change about myself. I'm also not that good in social situations. I go red so easily and thats probably the thing I hate the most! Even around family I can go red which is so embarrassing. I can also be really quiet around people I don't know and this annoys me too because most people would think I'm really quiet when in fact I can be a good laugh when they get to know me! A final thing (that I'll mention :P) is that I'm an awful worrier. I can give the best advice to people in the same situation but I never listen to it myself. I worry about stupid things and really wish I could be less of a worrier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

• I'm comfortable with who I am
    • I'm always there for people, and take on their problems
    • I enjoy cheering people up
    • I take pride in my studies
    • I like to think I have great potential
    • I like to stay true to who I am

Dislikes
    • I'm often down and depressed when I'm alone
    • I'm comfortable with me, yet fear if others aren't.
    • I take on other peoples problems but never express mine. I much prefer to cry myself to sleep. :/
    • I fear that no one will be there to cheer me up
    • I often procrasinate and get lazy
    • I sometimes fear that I haven't done anything extravaigant.

I hope I don't sound cocky in anyway, it's just that I like to try to focus on the positives in my life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Things I like:
    -that my friendships have reached a point where I'm totally comfortable with my girls.
    - I'm friendly and will talk to anyone.
    -I forgive and forget easily.I'm glad I don't often hold bitter grudges.
    - the colour of my eyes and my hair.
    -Being a bookworm and a musical theatre freak even though most around me aren't into it.
    -the fact I try and stay true to who I am and don't always go with the crowd.

Things I hate:
    -my body.I'm ok with my shape and size but I feel so flabby under my clothes.
    -I'll let people get away with anything for an easy life and will always give those who hurt me another chance even when I shouldn't.
    -My laziness and lack of motivation when I'm doing things alone in particular excercise.
    -I don't know what I want from life and I have no real goals.i don't like feeling like I'm just floating through life I'm halfway through my degree and still don't know what I'd like to do after.
    -my lack of hobbies these days.mainly because of work but I miss dancing and I keep saying I'll start classes but then again I'm lazy.

I know there's more but I don't want to write a big essay.im not comfortable with my life or the person I am but I guess I don't hate myself so that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Well, seeing as you asked so nicely ;)

• the way I stand up for other people even when I can't stand up for myself :rolleyes:
    • my willpower and hard work ethic - if I put my mind to something I can usually achieve it
    • my loyalty to people
    • my generosity both in a material and spiritual sense
      ick this is starting to sound like a CV so I'm gonna throw in a few aesthetic likes ;)
    • my eyes (my best feature I think)
    • hair, because it usually behaves itself and requires little maintennance :pac:
    • I also reckon I'm good at listening to people and cheering them up with my outrageous sense of humour :p

Dislikes....
    • my self-doubt and atrocious lack of confidence
    • my inability to trust people and the way I let people walk all over me for the sake of peace
    • the way I'm always judging myself and worrying about little things I say/don't say, do/don't do, no matter how trivial :L
    • my moodiness which alienates me from others
    • my shyness around people I don't know
    • my body in general xP

All I can think of so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Like:
    My eyes
    My quest to kill all humans

Hate:
    How easily I get distracted from stuff I want to do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

hmmm....what do i like about myself??? i seem to always keep my confidence, even if only on the outside....i try to see the best in everyone(leading to me being screwed over a few times but always want to see the good in people) im very trusting, bubbly annd friendly.

now for the easy part....dislike! currently suffering from underactive thyroid so have a lot of excess weight that is refusing to shift, also have thyroid eye disease which means that my left eye is protruding and looks just terrible....i could go on but will leave it there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Like:
    The way my friends make me feel awesome.
    My relationship with my granny.
    My eyes (big, blue and gorgeous, if I do say so myself).
    My ability to laugh.

Dislike:
    My inability to see things through.
    My body.
    The part of me that loves discussing everything about everybody with my best friend.
    My dependence on others.
    The fact I haven't been on C&H in yonks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I hate dislike that everyone says im cranky/grumpy/unhappy all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

There's a long list of things I hate about myself. But one in particular sticks out: I find it almost impossible to be happy for other people. Even my best friends....I find their triumphs and successes hard to swallow. Because it just reminds me of the fúckups in my own life.

Lets say a friend of mine does the same exam as me. I get 69%, they get 70%. I don't go "congrats on doing so well" to my friend, instead I smile and pretend to be happy for them while inside I'm torturing myself, yelling at myself going "you stupid useless fúck. Why couldn't you get that extra 1%? 'Cause you're a fúcking idiot, that's why." And instead of being happy for my friend, I resent them a little.

Other people's success always makes me feel like I'm inadequate. It's a horrible trait, I know. But no matter how often people reassure me that I'm a good person or whatever, I'll never be able to stop seeing myself as useless and unworthy of any sort of recognition. :(

What do I like about myself? Well, I'm still alive. So I guess I have some sort of internal strength that's keeping me here. Of course, it may just be sheer stubbornness. Oh and I can be really funny sometimes. Even if I'm the only person I make laugh! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Like:

-I like the fact that when I put my mind to it I can do just about anything. Like I'm shockingly gifted if I just put my mind and body to it.
    -I like the fact I can get on and talk the same with a close friend or a complete person.
    -I never judge anyone regardless of their faults as long as they don't hurt me.
    -I like the fact that I'm a deep thinker in the way I realise the world around me. Alot of people I know are air heads and are going to get a big fright in the near future. If it happens to me at least I know it in advance.
    -I like the fact that I'm actually a pretty good looking guy...always helps I guess.
    -I love my memory. I can remember vivid things from my early childhood.
    -I could go on but just to add all the generic things people like about themselves.

Dislike:

-I hate the way I look. Regardless of being a fairly attractive young fella I hate my looks. Especially my face.
    -I hate being skinny. Can't gain weight at all.
    -I hate being pale. A few years ago I'd be black at this time of year.
    -I hate thinking everyone judges me.
    -I hate the fact that I suffer from constant depression and at times and even as I type I'm slightly suicidal. It eats into every hour these days. I hate the fact I'm afraid I can't tell anyone about it because I feel no one understands.
    -I hate the fact I'm pushing away all my friends. Haven't made any effort to keep in contact with them. They text I just don't text back. And I dunno why I do that.
    -I hate that people who don't deserve it have everything while I try everything and do everything I can and get sweet **** all from life.
    -I hate the way my future seems hopeless. I feel so negative about it that I've made a promise to myself that if I don't get my college course in August I'm going to kill myself. I'm scared every hour of this.
    -I hate being anti social eventhough I love going out and getting to know people. It seems like an ordeal for me to even go out in the town now.
    -I hate the way I think too much. I guess it comes with my ****ed up life. But I hate it.
    -I hate the fact that I can appear all chatty, bubbly and funny when deep down I want to grab that bottle people are drinking from and smash it off my head. Thats why I can't talk to anyone. People think I'm looking for attention when I say I'm depressed because they see me as happy. It's not an act being cheerful. It's just I can swing from one side to the other so fast. But I only show my down side at home or when I'm really feeling bad and my friends or whoever is present.

Look I could go on for days about what I hate about my life. Just shout if you want to know more...

Advertisement