Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know if HD is working?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I apologise if it's not!

We got our new TV in January. It's a 50" HD 3D beast of a television, came complete with 3D blu-ray, the whole shabang. The thing is, we have no idea how to tell if the HD is working, because. . .well, aside from being a lot larger, the picture looks the same quality as it would on any other TV. Then I thought, maybe you have to have HD channels, and as far as I know we don't have any of those. But even our blu-ray player, when playing blu-rays, doesn't seem to show a difference. We have that little blue cable that connects the TV and blu-ray player, and that supposedly enables the HD, but I still don't see a difference.

So, basically, I was wondering if anyone can tell me, how do I tell if the HD is working or not? Is there a way to even do that? :confused: Sorry, I'm just really bad at working TVs. Computers I can manage, but when it comes to this sort of thing I am lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

What model is the TV ?

What model is the Blu ray player ?

By Blue connection do you mean a HDMI cable ?

There are checks to see what signal is coming in but they are model specific so your question cant be answered without that information.

The difference between SD and HD, especially on a 50 inch TV , should be glaringly obvious , if you cant tell , then your gear is not set up correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Thanks for your reply! :)

The blu-ray player and TV are both Panasonic. Yep, I just checked and that is indeed what I meant by "blue cable", it's the HDMI cable. It's running from the port in the back of the TV to the one at the back of the blu-ray.

Thanks again, I'd never get this on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Model numbers as opposed to just the bra nd would help. That way I could point to specific setup menus.

That said, Panasonic tv remotes usually have an i button. Put on a Blu ray and while it's playing press that. A box should pop up on the top of the screen showing the incoming signal, which should be 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get the blu-ray version of The Dark Knight (batman) movie from Xtravision, you'll know in the first few minutes of the movie if you're watching HD or not.

A lot of older movies were digitised into Blu-Ray but in many cases the conversion was poorly done and in the case of some nature blu-ray box sets (BBC's Life on Earth is an example), there is both HD and non-HD content. The only way to be sure is to rent a recent Blu-Ray action movie involving real actors (i.e. not animation).

Advertisement