Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due date

Options
  • 12-06-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

We are convinced that we our due date is two weeks before the given due date. We couldn't give any dates at the start cause we are both a disaster in that department so the due date was worked out based on early scans but we had a 3D a couple of weeks ago and the sonographer said the baby was two weeks ahead of average in terms of size which only backed up our thoughts.

Has anyone ever felt their due date was wrong all along ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

A due date is roughly 40 weeks since the last period. If you can remember when that was you count 40 weeks from that date to calculate when you are due. Scans are very accurate when it comes to this as there's a rough size a foetus should be at any given time the scan is done. Scans may be out by days but rarely weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Also worth bearing mind that 'normal term' can vary greatly (for obstetric purposes it's 37-42 weeks). 40 weeks is the average, not the norm. Due dates are estimates at best.

As the pregnancy progresses your midwife or doctor should notice if the bump/baby is bigger than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I wouldn't take the scan measurement as back up that your date is wrong as your baby may just be on the big size.
    The only scan that has matched our due date was the 7w+3 scan we had...ever since our baby has been ahead date wise and is currently 2w+2 ahead of due date :) Date predictions via a scan can be off by +/- 10 days to start with & they use average growth so if your baby was on the bigger or smaller side they wouldn't match your due date.

If you can manage to remember the 1st day of your last period then there are plenty of websites that will calculate your due date but as said earlier in Ireland it's 40 weeks from that date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They should typically give you estimated dates based on the scans if you ask them. If you don't ask them, they will stick with whatever due date you gave them originally.

Whenever your next appointment is (scan or not), just mention that you think the due date is off and ask them to check the scan details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Scans up to 12 wks are the most acurate as all fetuses develop at the same rate up to this point, beyond this point they develop at different rates, they have growth spurts etc... So i'd go by the estimated due date given at your earliest scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

ariana` wrote: »
    Scans up to 12 wks are the most acurate as all fetuses develop at the same rate up to this point, beyond this point they develop at different rates, they have growth spurts etc... So i'd go by the estimated due date given at your earliest scan.

Just to follow it up there, i googled it and scans at 8-11wks are considered to be within 5 days of accuracy. Scans at 11-22 wks are within 10 days accuracy. And it is not possible to date a pregnancy from a scan after 22 wks. I got the same date at 10 & 11wk scans so i'm hoping its bang on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Early scans are the most accurate. My first scan exactly matched when I knew I conceived but my scan the following month had the baby sized nearly a week bigger. After the first couple of months foetuses, like people, grow at different rates, that's why some babies are born under 7lbs and others over 10lbs, even though they are born at the same point of gestation. If your given due date is based on an early scan it is probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Ok thanks, the early scan date it is so which puts us closer the date we think is the right one.

Advertisement