Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Dublin

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, I've taken a year off college (I'm studying Modern Irish in Trinity), and I was wondering where I could look for a job where I can use Irish.
    I've thought of going to Club an Conradh, Raidio na Life, Geal Linn, An Siopa Leabhair and TG4's Dublin office.
    I can't find an address for Nós Iris.
    Is there anywhere else I haven't thought of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

Have you tried Gaelport.com for their list of jobs?

TG4 could be your best bet though, and from what I know as far as their Dublin office goes, they have staff there with very patchy Irish, so if you can say you have an interest in say ad forecasting, etc., combined with Irish language proficiency to some extent, then you might have a good chance to get in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Check out http://publicjobs.ie and see if there's any panels for clerical officers, they'll appreciate that you're an Irish speaker. I actually think they're looking for translators in the EU at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Check out http://publicjobs.ie and see if there's any panels for clerical officers, they'll appreciate that you're an Irish speaker. I actually think they're looking for translators in the EU at the moment

They are but you'd have to be pretty hot at the language to be in with a chance! You also need fluency in another European language as well as English.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

pog it wrote: »

They are but you'd have to be pretty hot at the language to be in with a chance! You also need fluency in another European language as well as English.

That's okay, German is my first language! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Oh well then you're a shoe in! Go for it

• Advertisement

That's great you have German but is your Irish up to the standard? Remember you need to be competent in Irish - English translation, the German is secondary. You're talking about a standard that is above and beyond what people leaving college with a BA in Irish would have. A lot of people seem to think that just because you are reasonably fluent in a language that you could translate in it but that's not the case. But if you think your Irish is near native standard then definitely go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

pog it wrote: »

That's great you have German but is your Irish up to the standard? Remember you need to be competent in Irish - English translation, the German is secondary. You're talking about a standard that is above and beyond what people leaving college with a BA in Irish would have. A lot of people seem to think that just because you are reasonably fluent in a language that you could translate in it but that's not the case. But if you think your Irish is near native standard then definitely go for it :)

Yeah, Irish is my second language. My grandpa's from the Gaeltacht, I went to an all Irish pre school, primary school, spent fourth year in an all Irish school, went to a really stric Gaeltacht every year and I read loads of Irish language books and watch tg4 and listen to rnag. Not to mention I've translated political stuff before.

Yeah, Irish is my second language. My grandpa's from the Gaeltacht, I went to an all Irish pre school, primary school, spent fourth year in an all Irish school, went to a really stric Gaeltacht every year and I read loads of Irish language books and watch tg4 and listen to rnag. Not to mention I've translated political stuff before.

erm, none of that means you have the standard required. I'm not being negative by the way and I wish you the best of luck but there are lots of chancers as it is- just look at government notices in national newspapers, they're a disgrace at times. Thing is that at EU level you will be adjudicated by people with near native standard or those whose native language is Irish and you won't get away with anything. I've never worked in the industry, nor applied to or anything, i'm just a purist and realist at heart and I've met people with a really naive idea about it who said oh you should do translation. It's not like that.

Anyway, I think they require you to have at least a degree behind you, before they even look at your language skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

One of the reasons (not the only one) that so many official documents are produced in substandard Irish is that it is difficult to find good translators.

There is a market for freelance translators who are prepared to work with government departments and various public bodies. I'm not sure how you make yourself known to them: I don't think there is a central register of approved translators used by the public service.

One of the reasons (not the only one) that so many official documents are produced in substandard Irish is that it is difficult to find good translators.

There is a market for freelance translators who are prepared to work with government departments and various public bodies. I'm not sure how you make yourself known to them: I don't think there is a central register of approved translators used by the public service.

They should be required to use the register of people who have passed the Foras na Gaeilge accreditation exam for Irish translators.

Pancakes rule, why not apply to sit the exam and get the sample papers from the Foras to prepare?

I don't think that substandard translation should be allowed and it is being done by people who mistakenly think they are good enough but who are making mistakes all over the place. The Irish language deserves a bit more than that, as do the people who speak it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Nós is in Belfast afaik.

http://www.nosmag.com/teagmhail/

Advertisement