Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd wants out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

I think he misses the point of incarceration. Beating a woman should hardly be consequence free Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

"I've changed my mind, I'm innocent..."

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

developing anger issues that he normally can "dissipate" through his exercise routine.

Or girlfriend, the poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He made a big deal of the fact that he was taking his punishment "like a man" only 12 days ago when the cameras were on him. Just goes to show the ego of the man that he says he should be let out because his boxing career will suffer, he is brilliant in the ring but a good attitude and a bit of training in and out of his cell should keep him alright for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

It just might sober him up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didn't sober him up before

• Registered Users Posts: 54,706 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I could well understand and believe that jail is harming Floyd's physical well being and that it could have a big impact on his talents as a boxer. Any top athlete is a well oiled machine, and anything that they do, or don't do as in this case, can affect them greatly.

That is why I always found it odd that when Holyfiewas was pitted against Tyson, some folks seem to think that Tyson's 3 years' incarceration was of little importance, and that BOTH men were past it. Yes, both were, but Tyson was by far the further from his best days, and 3 years' inside and getting older is a lot more detrimental to simply being past it due to getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    and that BOTH men were past it. Yes, both were, but Tyson was by far the further from his best days, and 3 years inside and getting older is a lot more detrimental to simply being past it due to getting older.

Wrong, Tyson was in great shape and sharp when he got out, Against Mcneely he was like a 20 year old again, he went through Bruno, Mathis Jr and Seldon-Holyfield was older and was ruled out for having a dodgey ticker that "GOD healed" he had lost 2 out of 4 and 3 out of 7 if you want to go back further, Tyson's heart may not have been there but his fitness speed and power still where and that I have no doubt of.

Holyfield was all wrong for Tyson-Bullies don't like been bullied and that's what happened.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Wrong, Tyson was in great shape and sharp when he got out, Against Mcneely he was like a 20 year old again, he went through Bruno, Mathis Jr and Seldon-Holyfield was older and was ruled out for having a dodgey ticker that "GOD healed" he had lost 2 out of 4 and 3 out of 7 if you want to go back further, Tyson's heart may not have been there but his fitness speed and power still where and that I have no doubt of.

Holyfield was all wrong for Tyson-Bullies don't like been bullied and that's what happened.

He was not like a 20 year old. It was Pete McNeeley in there for chrissake.

Tyson was done for post prison. Clearly! Still good enough to get past the likes of a past peak Bruno, Seldon etc. But nowhere near the championship Tyson. Not close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He was not like a 20 year old. It was Pete McNeeley in there for chrissake.

Tyson was done for post prison. Clearly! Still good enough to get past the likes of a past peak Bruno, Seldon etc. But nowhere near the championship Tyson. Not close.

There was nothing wrong with Tyson physically at the time of the Holyfield fight, mentally he was a mess alright cause of the women that came into his life and the circus that was around him but he was an overwhelming favourite to beat a past it Holyfield and the result shocked the world and it was this fight and the ear bitting in the second fight that blew away the Tyson myth and finished him at the top level.
    Getting back on topic though do you really think a few months will do that much damage? It says more of him having a fragile mind to me more than anything else, he still can excercise. He says it will effect his career, sure any inmate could go in front of a judge and argue that!:)

• Advertisement

3 months inside for a finely tuned and regimented and dedicated athlete like Floyd is not something that will have NO effect. I never said anyhing about the amount of damage it will do.

As to Tyson. 3 years he spent in prison. That is without doubt nothing but detrimental.

will he get time of for good behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Tough titties, tbh.

The appropriate justice being served for Mayweather's (fairly heinous) crime trumps many, many times over any "rights" he thinks he has to safeguard against physical degradation, potentially leading to the end of his career. The length of the sentence is already a piss-take. If he has to retire, so be it. Literally: If you can't do the time, etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

3 months inside for a finely tuned and regimented and dedicated athlete like Floyd is not something that will have NO effect. I never said anyhing about the amount of damage it will do.

As to Tyson. 3 years he spent in prison. That is without doubt nothing but detrimental.

i doubt he will spend the full 3 months, and surely a broken leg or arm would be worse , so no point making an arguement , its weak, floyd is past his best anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Do the crime, do the time.

3 months is detrimental but he should "take it like a man" and finish his sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Ridiculous to say that 3 years in prison did nothing to Tyson physically. It could be nothing but detrimental. Look at Ali's lay off of a similar amount. He was nowhere near the same type of fighter when he came back and he wasn't locked up vegetating in a cell.

Tyson may have got himself in decent shape after prison but was in no way in his optimal physical condition again.

he is lucky he is in a county prison rather than a federal prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i doubt he will spend the full 3 months, and surely a broken leg or arm would be worse , so no point making an arguement , its weak, floyd is past his best anyway

He probably won't spend the full 3 months inside, but he most likely will spend at least 2 months.

If that article is correct, he's only taking in 800 calories....compared to the 3 to 4000 he usually takes in. That lack of good food and the lack of good workouts could have an effect on him over 2 months.

Floyd is past is best?....I don't see what that has to do with anything. He's still the best fighter in the world. You may think he's "past his best" because he's not as fast a hitter as he used to be, but that's due to the weight he's put on. He's still one hell of a fighter.

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    If that article is correct, he's only taking in 800 calories....compared to the 3 to 4000 he usually takes in. That lack of good food and the lack of good workouts could have an effect on him over 2 months.

I call BS on that to be honest-1 of the lads said it well when they said a broken arm etc could be worse than this-It is spot on, He can certainly do push ups, sit up's, shadow boxing, squats and lunges too to maintain shape, this won't keep him 100% sharp but it would maintain condition, then like any prep for a camp he would spend 8 week's getting in peak condition, you only need to be peak for that 1 day, not the whole time.

He can eat more if he want's and do the exercises i said and more-if he chooses not too then tough, you do the crime you pay the time.

Floyd will be back and none the worse for ware, If Manny and Floyd meet Manny will be the 1 looking finished.

Ridiculous to say that 3 years in prison did nothing to Tyson physically. It could be nothing but detrimental. Look at Ali's lay off of a similar amount. He was nowhere near the same type of fighter when he came back and he wasn't locked up vegetating in a cell.

Tyson may have got himself in decent shape after prison but was in no way in his optimal physical condition again.

I was going to mention Ali but decided against it. As you said, at least Ali was free, could be completely active, and he did train and spar and compete in matches during his layoff. Tyson's situation is so so different. Who cares what he looked like vs. McNeeley.

This was not near the man from the championship reign, or even the man that fought Ruddock in 1991. Anyway, am I (and you) the only ones who saw that Tyson in 1995 was not the same fighter as he was in the 80s and very early 90s?

As to Floyd. Sissy! What if all the inmates followed suit? Should they be all released early?

If I was a Floyd opponent I would be rubbing my hands if I knew that he was locked up for three months without access to his ususal regime. Floyd is a fighter who has looked after his body so so well for so so long. This should not affect him too much, but it will have some negative affect.

• Advertisement

Who cares what he looked like vs. McNeeley.

This was not near the man from the championship reign, or even the man that fought Ruddock in 1991. Anyway, am I (and you) the only ones who saw that Tyson in 1995 was not the same fighter as he was in the 80s and very early 90s?

As to Floyd. Sissy! What if all the inmates followed suit? Should they be all released early?

O'k 1st off, v Mcneely he still had his speed, and his power and seemed sharp so why would you not count it? this is also before he had any warm up fights so it is fair to say he could even get sharper

Nobody is saying he was the same fighter, but that is due to mental reasons rather than physical, his loss to Evander was nothing to do with his physical condition, it was 1 by tactics he did not like and 2 due to been weak minded, some feel this may always have been the case, Physically he was still a machine.

Floyd-sissy! now your just been silly-If they can get out like anyone else they will try to-that's what expensive lawyers are paid for-you can be sure that they're constantly working on cutting his time behind bars, getting him under house arrest etc as that's what their paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    He probably won't spend the full 3 months inside, but he most likely will spend at least 2 months.

Floyd is past is best?....I don't see what that has to do with anything. He's still the best fighter in the world. You may think he's "past his best" because he's not as fast a hitter as he used to be, but that's due to the weight he's put on. He's still one hell of a fighter.

he is past his best and still the best in the world i never said otherwise, do you think he choose to exchange with cotto , his legs made him, from now on every fight he will slowly get worse , prison or not, as for the 800 calories id be pretty sure he is not hungry, maybe his prison guards have been offered security jobs after haha and are feeding him fillet steaks all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Mayweather is consuming 800 calories per day by choice, as he is rejecting most of the food that is offered to him.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Floyd-sissy! now your just been silly-If they can get out like anyone else they will try to-that's what expensive lawyers are paid for-you can be sure that they're constantly working on cutting his time behind bars, getting him under house arrest etc as that's what their paid to do.

I agree. I would do the same as Floyd if I were in his position. Still shouldn't be allowed. He should do his time like others have to. But, I won't slate him for trying to get out early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

barney4001 wrote: »
    he is lucky he is in a county prison rather than a federal prison

Why do you say that Barney ?

Whats the difference between them ?

federal is a much harder regime with the inmates and a far larger and more dangerous situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I'd say there would be a good few guys that would have a pop at Mayweather, if nothing else but to elevate their own status amongst the prisoners .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

"Multi-Millionaire 'Pretty Boy' finds prison life difficult"

Well I am shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

I'd say there would be a good few guys that would have a pop at Mayweather, if nothing else but to elevate their own status amongst the prisoners .

quite the opposite i would imagine...he would be the most protected prisoner in there...anyone who would attempt to hurt him would have 20 inmates jump on him.

• Advertisement

coolegrain wrote: »
    anyone who would attempt to hurt him would have 20 inmates prison officers jump on him.

Floyd is protected and not allowed amongst the general population. You cannot know that fellow prisoneres would protect him. Maybe they could or would rip him apart. That is why he would be kept free from other prisoners.

Advertisement