Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning shuttering

Options
  • 12-06-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

hi there, just looking for some advice, I'm a fully qualified carpenter and have spent my 11 years in the trade working on all things domestic, the only carpentry work i haven't done since Bolton st is shuttering, a chance at a job abroad has come up for me working on huge site on a bridge project, and I'm just wondering how hard is it to pick up shuttering? or am i just wasting my time, i really need this job so I'm definitely going to go for it, any info would be much appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

I'm a chippy myself but have only done a little shuttering. For what it's worth I can tell you my experience with it.

The make it up as you go along stuff is as you'd think. It's really down to your own abilities but unless it's something mad comlicated to lay out it shouldn't be a problem. It pretty much comes down to keeping the form strong enough so it doesn't bulge under the pressure of the pour which is something you can judge for yourself if an engineer hasn't spec'd anything.

As for the likes of the systems out there the only one I've used is Doka. I had to figure it out as I went along seeing as nobody else had any experience with it but I got my head around it after a couple of hours. That said, I only did a small job with it so I'm sure there's more to it then I realise. I think the average chippy would pick it up in a couple of weeks given a team of people to watch and learn from.

That's just my limited knowlege of it so don't take my word for it. Either way, go for the job. If you're **** all they can do is sack you and you still get another bit of experience to add to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

that kind of what i was thinking i wouldn't be going out there as the foreman or anything just hoping to pick up speed at it by falling in with the more experienced guys

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Yeah, from what I've done and seen done it's just a system so give it a little while and you'll be flying. Where are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Its pretty easy. done a bit in aus on the bridges and only had a few months experience, prior to this. Alot of the lads out there chancing their arm were from various previous occupations from teachers to even an accountant. The bridges are mainly general labouring with a little carpentry. Its the under passes and stair wells that usually highlight the ones with no previous experience. You should fly it if you have 11 years experience. Just remember to make your forms in such a way as that they are removable once the conc is poured. You would laugh at the amount of times forms had to be butchered off.

thanks for the replies guys really put my mind at ease interview is next week so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Admldj,

Let me know how you get on regarding picking up shuttering skills.

As yourself I've years carpentry experience, but only a little of shuttering work done and none of a civil/commercial detail, however its something I'd like to get knowledgeable of as it seems that is what the bulk of overseas work carpentry work is.

Have you looked at the Doka website, plenty of information to be had there.
    Studying it would help familiarize yourself with that system.

hey got the job so should be heading out this week or next ill post up how i'm getting on when i'm settled in

Advertisement