Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 and applying for JSA whats the procedure?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

My son has just finished his first year at college doing a FETAC level 5 and had a letter from college to state he's finished now. He went down to the welfare office as he'd been told he needs to claim for his stamps and they gave him a form for JSA even though he hadn't expected or intended to claim and hadn't gone down for that reason.

He filled that in and took it back today along with our wage slips as he's living at home with us and was given an appointment for Thurs to see a welfare officer. So what happens now will he have to wait months for a decision(we're in meath if that makes a difference)? Who will make that decision? At 18 whats he likely to get if anything?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

piperh wrote: »
    My son has just finished his first year at college doing a FETAC level 5 and had a letter from college to state he's finished now. He went down to the welfare office as he'd been told he needs to claim for his stamps and they gave him a form for JSA even though he hadn't expected or intended to claim and hadn't gone down for that reason.

He filled that in and took it back today along with our wage slips as he's living at home with us and was given an appointment for Thurs to see a welfare officer. So what happens now will he have to wait months for a decision(we're in meath if that makes a difference)? Who will make that decision? At 18 whats he likely to get if anything?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

First of all I dont know what you mean by he has to claim for his stamps. I am presuming you mean he wants to make a credit claim...he can only do this if he has paid prsi contributions.
    On jsa the most he will get is €100 but this is a means tested payment and any earnings from parents will be assessed against his claim. He may get something or he may get nothing depending on the means test. More than likely a deciding officer will make the decision... his means test should not have to go to a social welfare inspector unless a parent is self employed. In order to qualify for jobseekers allowance he also has to be available and looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

eastbono wrote: »
    First of all I dont know what you mean by he has to claim for his stamps. I am presuming you mean he wants to make a credit claim...he can only do this if he has paid prsi contributions.
    On jsa the most he will get is €100 but this is a means tested payment and any earnings from parents will be assessed against his claim. He may get something or he may get nothing depending on the means test. More than likely a deciding officer will make the decision... his means test should not have to go to a social welfare inspector unless a parent is self employed. In order to qualify for jobseekers allowance he also has to be available and looking for work.

Thanks we don't know he was just told by his collegethat even though he has applied to do a level 6 course he should go and register with sw and then they'd have records for his stamps in the future :confused: As i said he wasn't expecting money out of them as he's never paid into the system going from school straight to college, So anything he got he would be grateful for.

Yes he's applied for quite a few jobs already and registered with fas and the usual websites. He was given an appointment when he took his form back today to go and see a welfare officer/inspector on Thursday but we don't know if this is the norm?

No we're not self employed hubby working full time so not claiming anything ourselves.

Thanks we don't know he was just told by his collegethat even though he has applied to do a level 6 course he should go and register with sw and then they'd have records for his stamps in the future :confused: As i said he wasn't expecting money out of them as he's never paid into the system going from school straight to college, So anything he got he would be grateful for.

Yes he's applied for quite a few jobs already and registered with fas and the usual websites. He was given an appointment when he took his form back today to go and see a welfare officer/inspector on Thursday but we don't know if this is the norm?

No we're not self employed hubby working full time so not claiming anything ourselves.

It appears the college are advising him to make a credit claim. As I said already he cannot do this unless he has paid contributions.

Some offices do straightforward means decisions other dont and you go to a sw inspector...this really depends on the office. If he intends returning to college in September he may not qualify for jsa.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

He will qualify as long as its a 1 year course which it is if its Level 5. I was in the same situation last summer. And this one :(

I'll put it like this:

The maximum you can get at his age under 23, is 100 euros a week JSA. Now everyones situation is different but from what I gather, if you fill out the firms properly, you will most likely not hit 100 euro a week unless:

a) the claimant is living independently to his parents, so another house basically.

b) your parents incomes are very low.

Now I was living at home at the time, and the way mine went was I only received 40 euros per week. Which is nothing, but thats all I could get according to the place. Now I could have appealed but I thought whats the point they would just delay it if you did.

I took the 40 quid a week, nothing money, but every little helps. At the same time my mate was applying and was taking home 100 quid a week despite his parents have an even greater income then mine. I have no idea how he done that, I can only imagine it was creativity in his application stating he lived somewhere else.

It all depends, best of luck to yous.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thank you both. Don't suppose you've any idea of roughly how long he'll have to wait for a decision eitherway.

We assume if its a yes to any amount at all he'll have to stop as soon as the college term starts and not if/when he gets a grant.

• Advertisement

Thank you both. Don't suppose you've any idea of roughly how long he'll have to wait for a decision eitherway.

We assume if its a yes to any amount at all he'll have to stop as soon as the college term starts and not if/when he gets a grant.

If he gets some amount it will be backdated to the date of his claim and he will have to sign off if/when he starts college.

Advertisement