Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dioploma sa Ghaeilge

Options
  • 12-06-2012 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey lads I was wondering if there are any post grads here who have done or are doing the diploma in irish at NUIG. I'm a former student but I didnt take up the opportunity while I was at college. Was wondering if the classes are over several nights a week? I live in Mayo and would be willing to commute one night a week but I'm not sure if I could manage more than that. Does anyone know of When does the dip begin? Is it too late to apply?? And can anyone explain the different A1, B2, C1, C2 dips to me??

I studied Irish for one year at college but I only got 45%. Terrible grammar and pronounciation. Now that Im a teacher its becoming a possibility that I could be put into a JC Irish class if theyre stuck for a sub and I really want to brush up. Its already happened once and the kids were so good they put me to shame. Pointed out that shroich was the verb to arrive, when I had been using thainig. I was nowhere near that good at Irish when i was their age!!!

At leaving cert I got a B at higher level Irish. I'd welcome any advice on which dip is most suited to me. If anyone knows of any irish courses in mayo thats also be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"Shroich" is moreso "reach" than "arrive", so in some cases "thainig" would be more appropriate.

Can you provide a link to the diploma you're speaking of? I did a diploma in Irish here years ago, but I don't recognise the A1, B2, etc you mention, so don't want to be giving you an irrelevant opinion on the wrong course...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You can do it one evening a week (one three hour class) or two evenings (A two hour and a one hour class)
    It's not too late to apply: I applied at the beginning of September when I started and got in fine.They're very keen to get people on. Most of my class were mature students/non-students who were sitting the class part time.
    When you apply, you're given a language test online which will help ascertain your level. They place you in the class based on this.

It's grand, it's especially good to improve your spoken Irish.
    I just finished it this year so if you have any questions ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Fichell, all I could figure out is that A1 is for students who have never encountered the irish language before and the B2, C1 and C2 diplomas accommodate students with a higher standard of irish.

Thanks so much lockstep that does sound like it would suit. If you chose to study one night a week what time would classes start or finish? The only thing thats holding me back is the travelling up and down to galway one night a week... And then with teaching I could be anywhere in the country come September. I'll get in touch with NUIG and it sounds like I wont have to rush into a decision anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

They're very very flexible. They have a few set out times (Most would start in the evening such as 6.30-9.30) but if there's a time that suits a lot of people they'll usually put a class on at that time. THey did for my class anyway.

The Dioploma is very informal and flexible so it shouldn't be any trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd never use the word 'shroich'. I'd always use 'tháinig'
    You don't need the diplóma just for the qualification do you? Have you considered doing a gaeltacht immersion course of some sort or another way to improve do theanga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

lestat21 wrote: »
    And can anyone explain the different A1, B2, C1, C2 dips to me??

This should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'd never use the word 'shroich'. I'd always use 'tháinig'
    You don't need the diplóma just for the qualification do you? Have you considered doing a gaeltacht immersion course of some sort or another way to improve do theanga?

Bit of both actually... I'd love to improve my standard of Irish before starting any further courses though. Really interested in the idea of a gaeltacht immersion course. Never heard of these before, do you have any links?? Presumably theyre run over the summer months?? Something to keep me busy now that Im unemployed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sdg31

Hi lesat21. I finished the B (intermediate) level of the diploma last year in NUI Galway. I really enjoyed the course and learned a huge amount. Classes are held either in the evenings or lunchtime, depending on numbers. If you find yourself in another part of the country come September, the diploma will run in different venues around the country, so you might still be able to do it if you want. I would highly recommend the course.
    The important thing is to practise the spoken language as much as you can otherwise you will forget it all, although as a teacher you will have plenty of opportunities for practice.
    As for the immersion courses, there are courses run during the Summer in Áras Mhairtín Úi Chadhain in Carraroe. You can ring NUI Galway (091) 524411 and they can put you through or give you the number.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭burkemg

Hi this thread interests me as I am just now considering applying for the diploma as ghaeilge but have never studied the language at 3rd level! I want to try the two year diploma and depending on my success, I may then take this further to study for degree course. Any good advice available??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

burkemg wrote: »
    Hi this thread interests me as I am just now considering applying for the diploma as ghaeilge but have never studied the language at 3rd level! I want to try the two year diploma and depending on my success, I may then take this further to study for degree course. Any good advice available??

I just finished the diploma this year (undergrad going into 3rd year math science). I found it very enjoyable and worthwhile. Sometimes it is a pain to motivate yourself to go in, especially in the second year since the classes were all from 6pm -9:30pm (in first year I was lucky enough to have the class from 1pm - 4pm). There's a lot of grammar to be studied but if you enjoy that then definitely go for it, you'll fly it.
    The diploma focuses mainly on "correctness" in both the written and spoken language but you also have to do some listening work, projects, an essay and a book report really. The workload isn't too much but it can get stressful if you've a lot of work with regards your actual course.
    I may be wrong but I don't think they offer the extension course for the degree level (happily open for correction, though, as I'd definitely do it!) unlike the French diploma they have.

Any specific questions, ask away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnacoug

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I just finished the diploma this year (undergrad going into 3rd year math science). I found it very enjoyable and worthwhile. Sometimes it is a pain to motivate yourself to go in, especially in the second year since the classes were all from 6pm -9:30pm (in first year I was lucky enough to have the class from 1pm - 4pm). There's a lot of grammar to be studied but if you enjoy that then definitely go for it, you'll fly it.
    The diploma focuses mainly on "correctness" in both the written and spoken language but you also have to do some listening work, projects, an essay and a book report really. The workload isn't too much but it can get stressful if you've a lot of work with regards your actual course.
    I may be wrong but I don't think they offer the extension course for the degree level (happily open for correction, though, as I'd definitely do it!) unlike the French diploma they have.

Any specific questions, ask away :)

Very interested in your info. Which level of diploma did you take. Does class consist mainly of undergraduates...interested as I am a...very mature student!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

johnacoug wrote: »
    Very interested in your info. Which level of diploma did you take. Does class consist mainly of undergraduates...interested as I am a...very mature student!

I took the C1. I never had any interest in law so I didn't bother with the C2 course. It really depends. Some classes there are mostly undergraduates but then in others there are predominantly mature students. It all depends on the day. Usually you can go to different classes as well as they're repeated throughout the week so if one doesn't suit you or you don't like the other classmates you can just show up to the other ones instead. In the end we all got along really well, both undergraduate and mature students!

Advertisement