Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA - Sligo football team

Options
  • 12-06-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a search and I don't think there is an older/relevant thread here in the forum. I just thought it was appropriate to give the Sligo county team some acknowledgement, for their great win against Galway on Saturday. Everyone one had them written off, especially the national press. So to beat them by 5 points and in Galway, must have been particularly sweet for the team. A Connaught title this year would be very nice indeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

What date is the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nice one OP. As alot of you might already know, i'm a bit of a blow in to these parts, but happy to see them have done well myself.

Mayo or Leitrem in the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I've done a search and I don't think there is an older/relevant thread here in the forum. I just thought it was appropriate to give the Sligo county team some acknowledgement, for their great win against Galway on Saturday. Everyone one had them written off, especially the national press. So to beat them by 5 points and in Galway, must have been particularly sweet for the team. A Connaught title this year would be very nice indeed.

All credit to Sligo, they were completely written off before the game & PP were offering 1/6 odds on Galway winning. They played a very high tempo game and pressured Galway into alot of unforced errors. They were extremely clinical aswell, racking up a high score like that is a very difficult thing to do down in Galway.

The only problem I see for them is that they lack consistency, I've seen them beat top teams in the championship before only to lose when their were least expected to. Thats why I think if they meet Mayo in the final I can only see the final going one way. They dont seem to respond to being favourites or expected to win, only seem suited to the underdog tag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    What date is the final?

Sunday 15th of July @ 14.00pm, I think the venue is Hyde Park in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

leonidas83 wrote: »
    All credit to Sligo, they were completely written off before the game & PP were offering 1/6 odds on Galway winning. They played a very high tempo game and pressured Galway into alot of unforced errors. They were extremely clinical aswell, racking up a high score like that is a very difficult thing to do down in Galway.

The only problem I see for them is that they lack consistency, I've seen them beat top teams in the championship before only to lose when their were least expected to. Thats why I think if they meet Mayo in the final I can only see the final going one way. They dont seem to respond to being favourites or expected to win, only seem suited to the underdog tag

I don't see them being favourites against Mayo so that shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    I don't see them being favourites against Mayo so that shouldn't be a problem

I agree, Mayo should pip suit Sligo for the favourites tag and that should Sligo nicely. Having beaten Mayo and Galway in 2010, they really underperformed when carrying the favourites tag in the final against Roscommon.

No surprise that Mayo beat Leitrim and we now have a Sligo-Mayo final. But the hammering Leitrim got was quite impressive. Hopefully Mayo left their best stuff on the pitch in that game and won't bring it to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Not having the favourites will certainly help Sligo, but it will still be squeaky bum time regardless.

Ah well, no Connaught title this year after losing out by two points. A close fought game and certainly a better performance from Sligo than the 2010 final.

Sad to see the lack of interest shown toward the county team in here. Especially when you compare it to the Sligo Rovers thread. I'm originally a townie myself and I have never played Gaelic or Hurling. But when I see any Sligo team in action, I'll always support them regardless of the sport involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

a win may have been very different! also to be honest boards isnt great for gaa... theres a big rival for it and with boards covering a much larger area its probably impossible to offer the same space, as in the full county gaa forum then national.
    works different for soccer/rugby where you tend to get club/provincial forums and people then coming here for the national.
    plus who talks as much after a defeat! win v kildare (assuming it will be them & ya have a chance they are a bit overrated) and you will see a bit of activity!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

mongoman wrote: »
    Sad to see the lack of interest shown toward the county team in here. Especially when you compare it to the Sligo Rovers thread. I'm originally a townie myself and I have never played Gaelic or Hurling. But when I see any Sligo team in action, I'll always support them regardless of the sport involved.
    There is more gaa coverage available nationally than other sports during summer, it provides a lot more outlets for news and updates rather than on these forums. Also there was over twenty three thousand at match so there was plenty at it from sligo.

when I see any Sligo team in action, I'll always support them regardless of the sport involved.

Like yourself, I have no GAA background but I'll support any Sligo team no matter what the sport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Is the Kildare game on tv tomorrow?

red sean wrote: »
    Is the Kildare game on tv tomorrow?

No, not televised. Unless TV3 cancel the Stuart little movie and televise it. Which may or may not happen though, so just keep an eye out at 18.15 - 18.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Have they cancelled it?

An abysmal performance from the Sligo team, they didn't score from open play until the 71st minute and that pretty mush sums up their game. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

awh poor sligo :(

They can support Donegal now instead!

Neeson wrote: »
    They can support Donegal now instead!

When Sligo lose, I'll always support the team from Connaught. So if Mayo win tomorrow, I'll be supporting Mayo.

• Advertisement

When Sligo lose, I'll always support the team from Connaught. So if Mayo win tomorrow, I'll be supporting Mayo.

+1

Very good. Most support the team that bate them to go on and do well.

If either Mayo or Donegal win now, I suppose it doesn't really matter. I'm just glad to see the Dubs beaten.

Sligo lose to London yesterday in the Connaught Championship. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo lose to London yesterday in the Connaught Championship. Says it all really.

I believe Eamonn O'Hara was nine too complimentary about them on the Sunday Game. In fairness he was a real pro in his approach to training and fitness. Always gave 100%. there's too many lads complacent in the squad and too many fond of a few drinks. Focus after a big win seems to be celebrating it rather preparing for the next game.
    Might be the kick up the backside they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Il Gatto - Eamonn O'Hara was right in some of what he said on the Sunday Game but it is hardly going to do the panel any good whatsoever in advance of the qualifiers with some potential tough draws ahead.....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Il Gatto - Eamonn O'Hara was right in some of what he said on the Sunday Game but it is hardly going to do the panel any good whatsoever in advance of the qualifiers with some potential tough draws ahead.....

Brgds
    Johnny

I didn't see it and by what I've heard it was a bit OTT. I'm just speculating that for a man who took it so seriously, it must have been very frustrating to be a part of that team the last few years.
    It may do them no good or it could be the wakeup call they needed (the loss and the rant, for want o a better word).
    They're a talented bunch, but whether the coaching or the attitude isn't right, something definitely isn't. A team that beat Galway and have challenged for Connacht championships in recent seasons shouldn't be losing to London.

I also didn't see the comments made by O'Hara, but I've no doubt he was probably spot on in what he said. When one of Sligo's greatest ever players speaks, they better sit up and take notice. Providing they're sober of course.

Advertisement