Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Aerial

Options
  • 12-06-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok, I know there are lots of topics about Saorview and my thread will probably be closed and pointed elsewhere, but I looked through some of the hundreds of search results I got and couldn't find what I was looking for...

So, anyway, I bought this from Power City
    http://goo.gl/zCV4Q

LLOYTRON AMPLIFIED TV AERIAL Model : A426BK

It says it has Gain Booster Up to 50db, but when I place it next to my TV, I cannot get any Saorview signal. I have to move it close to my window to get a signal...however, my TV is not near my window.

I know some people talk about getting an aerial on the roof, but to be honest, I don't really want to do that for 5 or 6 channels.

My question is, does anyone know of a stronger indoor aerial that I could get that may improve my signal? Or maybe even a wireless one that I could put near the window and send the signal back to the TV.

I live in Dublin 15, so thought that I would have a strong Saorview signal, but obviously not!

Cheers,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

eoinymc wrote: »
    I have to move it close to my window to get a signal...however, my TV is not near my window.

Is it practical to run a cable from the window to the TV?

Powercity sell long TV cables. Usually the quality of them is terrible but if the signal is strong enough they will work.

If you have an attic you could move it there. Either way the aerial needs to be in a location that has a strong signal. Most indoor aerials work roughly the same no matter what they claim.

Something like this would do:
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-70-27522R&pages=1&prod=27522R&brands=PHILEX&image=

(A wireless sender like you suggest does not exist)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

eoinymc wrote: »
    Ok, I know there are lots of topics about Saorview and my thread will probably be closed and pointed elsewhere, but I looked through some of the hundreds of search results I got and couldn't find what I was looking for...

So, anyway, I bought this from Power City
    http://goo.gl/zCV4Q

LLOYTRON AMPLIFIED TV AERIAL Model : A426BK

It says it has Gain Booster Up to 50db, but when I place it next to my TV, I cannot get any Saorview signal. I have to move it close to my window to get a signal...however, my TV is not near my window.

I know some people talk about getting an aerial on the roof, but to be honest, I don't really want to do that for 5 or 6 channels.

My question is, does anyone know of a stronger indoor aerial that I could get that may improve my signal? Or maybe even a wireless one that I could put near the window and send the signal back to the TV.

I live in Dublin 15, so thought that I would have a strong Saorview signal, but obviously not!

Cheers,

Eoin

In D15 also. You don't necessarily need a roof level antenna. I've a cheapo outdoor antenna located under a 60cm dish. It's place on the chimney purely because I piggy backed the dish bracket for fitting but the antenna performed fine at head height once outside. Those internal aerials are hit & miss, and best results are normally achieved at a window, creating an eyesore and unnecessary cable runs; the outdoor option is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Boosters on indoor aerials only amplify the noise, you cannot amplify a signal that is not there.
    You most likely spent a 3 figure sum on your TV, why are you afraid of spending a bit more on a decent outdoor aerial system? Bit like trying to run an expensive car on paraffin!

winston_1 wrote: »
    Boosters on indoor aerials only amplify the noise, you cannot amplify a signal that is not there.
    You most likely spent a 3 figure sum on your TV, why are you afraid of spending a bit more on a decent outdoor aerial system? Bit like trying to run an expensive car on paraffin!
    what a Stupid unhelpful post. Did it ever cross your mind that the OP may have simply went into a B&M store, asked for a suitable product, and was told that the item he purchased would fit the bill perfectly ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Then they should bring the thing back to the store as it is not fit for the purpose. In D15 TVs start at 42" and up :p , why skimp on a €50 Contract aerial and a bit of cable. An attic aerial and existing house cabling would probably do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

dodzy wrote: »
    what a Stupid unhelpful post. Did it ever cross your mind that the OP may have simply went into a B&M store, asked for a suitable product, and was told that the item he purchased would fit the bill perfectly ?

You are entitled to your opinion even though you are both insulting and wrong.

What is a B&M store?

It never occurred to me that any store would recommend a crummy indoor aerial with a 50dB booster strapped on to it. If it did it obviously has no idea about TV reception and should not be in that business.

The TV network is designed to work with outside aerials 10 metres high and that is what the OP should use.

It seems strange the OP does not want to do that for 5 0r 6 channels. Before digital people did that for 2 channels and then fitted another (UHF) for 2 more channels. 5 or 6 on one UHF aerial seem a bargain to me.

My advice to get an outdoor aerial after spending a 3 figure sum on a TV still stands.

You are entitled to your opinion even though you are both insulting and wrong
    apologies if i came across as insulting, but I was not wrong.
    What is a B&M store?
    Bricks & Mortar. Power City for example
    It never occurred to me that any store would recommend a crummy indoor aerial with a 50dB booster strapped on to it. If it did it obviously has no idea about TV reception and should not be in that business
    A lot of people have has success with the indoor aerial similar to the one linked, they DO work if you are fortunate with your location.
    The TV network is designed to work with outside aerials 10 metres high and that is what the OP should use
    You do not need a 10mtr high antenna, particularly in areas such as D15
    It seems strange the OP does not want to do that for 5 0r 6 channels. Before digital people did that for 2 channels and then fitted another (UHF) for 2 more channels. 5 or 6 on one UHF aerial seem a bargain to me.
    I can understand the reluctance of some people viewing roof installs as a last measure, aesthetics and cost being 2 reasons.
    My advice to get an outdoor aerial after spending a 3 figure sum on a TV still stands.
    OP probably will, now that they have established that the indoor option returns poor results.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

You can be lucky with indoor aerials. I have a OneForAll flat aerial propped against the window, it receives a signal from transmitter 40 miles away.
    Signal strength 60%, signal quality 100%.

Advertisement