Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relief work vs Part-time. What's the difference?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm not sure whether a thread regarding this has already been created.

So anyway, I just got a call for an interview with a nursing home and the HR manager said they only have positions for relief workers ATM.

How many hours does a relief worker normally have? Are relief workers like on-call nurses where they are called to come to work only when there's a shortage of staff (when someone is off sick, on holidays, etc.)? Or do relief workers get to work regularly like part-timers (i.e. they get a fixed timetable)? I know a guy who works there as a relief worker and he does have a fixed timetable. So is relief work just another name for part time work?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

No not really, Relief work is just that, you relieve someone that can't be there, is sick or is on holidays. If there part timers or full timers are in you won't be needed!
    Part time workers have more or less set hours per week which are never full time hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 solamasci

I might just clear it with them during my interview.

Anyway HR called again and said that I will be getting a fixed timetable each week but it will be different each week. But I can rest assured that I don't have a week of no work. So that is good.

Like the guy I know, he worked only weekends during college but now he's got more hours.

In my mom's workplace (she's also a nurse), "relief" workers usually work 20 hours per week even when there is enough staff.

I have been looking for a job for months now, but to no avail. I can only really hope this is THE ONE.

Advertisement