Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble at the P.O

Options
  • 12-06-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

HOME » NEWS
    MAN DUE IN COURT FOLLOWING BANK PLACE INCIDENT
    12 June, 2012 - 10:02 Crime and Court
    A man's due in court in Ennis this morning charged in connection with a violent row in the town yesterday.
    The man in his twenties was arrested following an altercation between two groups of people outside the post office on Bank Place shortly before 11.30.
    Eyewitness says that a number of weapons were produced during the course of the row including baseball bats and a golf club but there were no serious injuries.
    The incident comes just days before a representative from traveller organisation Pavee Point is due to address the Ennis Joint Policing Committee over feuding in Clare's County Town.

I suppose a discussion is out of the question

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Discussion is fine once it's within the rules of boards.ie and the guidelines of the charter. This is also an ongoing legal matter so any discussion will need to be within the remit of the laws of the country of Ireland regarding media discussion of legal cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Just an update regarding this from ClareFM http://clare.fm/news/teenager-court-over-ennis-altercation
    ClareFM wrote:
    Teenager in court over Ennis altercation
    12 June, 2012 - 15:26

Crime and Court

A 19 year old has appeared in court charged in connection with an altercation in Ennis Town Centre.
    Michael Molly, of 2 Saint Michael's Park on the Gort Road, Ennis is charged with criminal damage arising out of the incident on Bank Place at around 11.30 yesterday morning.
    He appeared before Kilrush District Court this lunchtime and was bailed to appear before the courts again in Ennis tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I reckon that should say Molloy not Molly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Don't go riling up Pavee Point. Beating people in the queue to the post office with baseball bats and a golf clubs is their culture, don't disrespect that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I wont mention names but this is the same feud from the Holy Family incident, not the same people but the same family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

<Mod Snip>

comment deleted:confused:

why is this thread allowed to exist if we cant post here? can someone explain please and thanks.

maiden wrote: »
    I wont mention names but this is the same feud from the Holy Family incident, not the same people but the same family
    Hi,
    if you know this to be true,then i am saying you no more than the local guards,i say this because none of the 3 people who produced weapons have been arrested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As I said above, discussion is fine once it's within the rules, speculating as to the nature of charges levied against a person in an ongoing legal case isn't within the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

comment deleted:confused:

why is this thread allowed to exist if we cant post here? can someone explain please and thanks.

You are not allowed say nasty things about....you know......them....and their culture. We have the lunatic system whereby the slightest comment on an ongoing legal case could land you in trouble and Borads.ie with it. In other common law systems it is fine but not in our little republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

A bit more detail on what went on according to The Clare Herald Ennis Gardai Probe Ennis Town Centre Violence
    Gardaí are investigating a violent row which broke out in Ennis town centre
    yesterday (Monday) during which a number of weapons were produced and one man was forced to
    take refuge in a local bank.

Eyewitnesses have recounted how they ran in fear from the scene and how the doors of one business
    premises were quickly locked by staff to protect a fleeing man.

The incident happened at around 11.30am at Bank Place in the centre of Ennis. The row is thought to
    be linked to a long running feud between rival members of the travelling community.

According to witnesses, a while van pulled up outside the town's main post office and a verbal exchange
    took place between two groups and involving both males and females.

"At first it was only roaring and shouting but then I saw a baseball bat being taken out of a car and
    then a fella took something out of a sleeve. It was a machete. I just turned and ran away. Others did
    too and I helped a woman and her child away
    ," one bystander said.

One man was pushed to the ground and assaulted during the incident. When the row appeared to
    have ended, one group got back into a car and were leaving the scene when a rock was thrown at the
    side window, smashing it. The car stopped suddenly and the occupants ran after the man again

According to reports, the man fled into a local bank but his attackers were unable to pursue him as staff
    managed to close the front door.

Gardaí arrived at the scene within minutes and quickly brought the situation under control. A number of
    those involved sustained minor injuries and one man was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

Ennis Town Councillor and chair of the Ennis Joint Policing Committee Paul O'Shea said: "This incident can
    only be described as an outrage. Again, innocent bystanders have been out at risk of serious injury."

"This incident has happened just days before the director of Pavee Point, Mr Martin Collins, is due to address
    the Joint Policing Committee in Ennis about how we may find a lasting solution to an going feuding in town,"
    Cllr O'Shea said.

"I sincerely hope that we can get something positve from the meeting on Friday," Cllr O'Shea said.

A garda spokesman said: "We have one man in custody and we are following a definite line of inquiry in relation
    to this incident which we are treating as a public order matter. If anyone witnessed this incident, we would
    asked them to contact us on 065 68 48100."

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Carazy wrote: »
    A bit more detail on what went on according to The Clare Herald Ennis Gardai Probe Ennis Town Centre Violence

I love this bit............
    "This incident has happened just days before the director of Pavee Point, Mr Martin Collins, is due to address the Joint Policing Committee in Ennis about how we may find a lasting solution to an going feuding in town," Cllr O'Shea said.

"I sincerely hope that we can get something positve from the meeting on Friday," Cllr O'Shea said.

How about jailing the people involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Palmach wrote: »
    How about jailing the people involved?
    oh god no, why would we want do that, tis new houses and lots of money we want to give them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Now.... Let's see.... how can we help these people.
    1st of all respect their culture, bare knuckling fighting, horse trading (mongrel asses). Did you ever see them dealing with connemara ponies?Marry young ... the mark of a trawvellor man is how many childer he can produce. dont worry Paddy-joe we'll look after ye

Unfortunately I can't see the point in leaving this thread open any more, the only way I can see this going is either discussing an ongoing legal case (which is against the law) or discussing a groups traditions/beliefs (which isn't for a regional forum).

If you don't agree with my closing of the thread, feel free to follow the normal procedures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement