Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements for Postgraduate Student on Year Out

Options
  • 12-06-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    I hope some of you may be able to answer a question I have..
    I am a PhD student and have completed 3 of my 4 years of study. However, after Year 3 I took this current academic year (2011/2012) off for a break due to stress etc. I intend returning to full time study in September 2012.

I did not think I would be entitled to any social welfare benefits but recently someone suggested I should look into it as I am not earning any money (since August 2011) and have become dependent on my mother again! :(
    Do you think I would be entitled to any assistance and if so, can it be back-dated to when I took a break from my studies?

Your help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you are available and seeking work and not a full-time student, then you should be eligible for jobseekers allowance. If under 25 it will be means-tested on your parents income. It will be backdated to the date you apply.

Advertisement