Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise while pregnant?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I just got confirmation that I am between 4-5 wks pregnant. I do tae kwon do for exercise. Will check it out with Dr whether it is safe to continue and what modifications I need to make. What exercise/ sport do you do and when do you plan to stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭feest

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I've more or less kept up my normal exercise routine all along, albeit with some modifications as I've gotten bigger. This includes light cardio, pilates, yoga and swimming. I'm nearly 36 weeks now and have only had to modify some pilates and yoga poses so that I'm not flat on my back or if my belly gets in the way.

The only exercise I gave up is cycling. I have horrible balance at the best of times so didn't want to tempt fate. As you said, ask your doctor about your situation and exercises in particular...everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Exercising during pregnancy is mostly encouraged, and things like swimming, pilates, yoga and are usually the most talked about. The phrase that is usually used is "moderate exercise".

I know that some sources advise against cycling (probably the balance thing) and high impact sports - running and aerobics are usually the given examples but I would imagine tae kwon do would be considered an impact sport!.

I think you should discuss it with your doctor or midwife, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I just got confirmation that I am between 4-5 wks pregnant. I do tae kwon do for exercise. Will check it out with Dr whether it is safe to continue and what modifications I need to make. What exercise/ sport do you do and when do you plan to stop?

I stopped TKD for a couple of weeks due to tiredness but went back to light training at around the 16 week mark. I didn't spar much before anyway for other reasons, so cut that out altogether, cut down on stamina training, kept up technical stuff, pad work and breaking, all until around 30 weeks.
    Moved on to pregnancy pilates then :)
    Did water aerobics, walking, etc throughout with no problems. Keeping fit will really stand to you.

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just to double up whats said above, if you're training in a contact sport, its worth sitting out the sparring, or if you really want to, inform your coach and sparring partners as there are obvious precautions to take :)

Congratulations!

Advertisement