Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 problems with youtube.

Options
  • 12-06-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Lookit, I'm never sure if I'm using the right words when I try to talk about computer stuff, I hope I can explain myself properly.
    I have a difficulty with watching videos on youtube. My internet connection is 02 mobile broadband, and it's a little bit slow. On my old laptop, while this was annoying, I got around it. If I wanted to watch something on youtube and we were having a particularly slow day, I used to be able to pause it for a minute, make a cup of tea, and then come back and watch it. The buffering would continue while the video was paused. Now I have an Acer laptop running Windows 7, and it will only ever buffer for a certain time. In other words, if I watch a 30minute episode of QI, the little grey buffering line will only ever be a centimeter or so ahead of the red line in the youtube display. Is there some way I can change this in the settings?
    Thanks in advance for not making fun of my hilarious ignorance in these matters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

If you are using Internet Explorer to view Youtube, why not try Firefox,
    if you are using Firefox, try Google Chrome

They are all different browsers.
    Download firefox at

www.firefox.com

Download google chrome at

www.google.com/chrome

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

To be honest I think that's mostly youtube's fault. I have been having the same issue a lot lately, using both IE and Chrome.

Some videos, generally popular ones that would have been uploaded by a company, movie trailers for example, work a lot better for me at least.

Try comparing some of these (i.e. try finding some movie trailer for a big upcoming film, or look for featured videos on the homepage), to some of the the videos you are having problems with. If some videos are working much better than other then it's youtube's fault and there's not a lot you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

phinex wrote: »
    jolinee wrote: »
    You may download a free software([spam removed - Gordon]) and then use it download some youtube video to your computer from youtube.com.
    It is so convenient.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks, i like free tool.

im probably wrong but i thought that these download tools use the buffer to download the clip, so by only loading a fraction of the buffer it restricts the download?? And thats why youtube dont fully buffer anymore??
    If someone can clear it up for.me?

Advertisement