Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impacted Tooth

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

I think my wisdom tooth is impacted. Seems to be some gum covering it and is inflammed etc (was infected a while back).

Afaik, a simlpe extraction will sort this but silly question - if I have a tooth removed on one side do I need the corresponding one on the other side taken out to keep my face symmetrical?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ok so apparently this qustion is even more ridiculous than I thought. My colleague is falling around the place laughing at me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think my wisdom tooth is impacted. Seems to be some gum covering it and is inflammed etc (was infected a while back).

Afaik, a simlpe extraction will sort this but silly question - if I have a tooth removed on one side do I need the corresponding one on the other side taken out to keep my face symmetrical?

What makes you think that a simple extraction will be ok for an impacted wisdom tooth??!!

The other wisdom tooth only needs removal if it is or is likely to cause problems in future. Removing it to keep your face symmetrical is like getting your pancreas removed because it makes you walk with a limp.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What makes you think that a simple extraction will be ok for an impacted wisdom tooth??!!

The other wisdom tooth only needs removal if it is or is likely to cause problems in future. Removing it to keep your face symmetrical is like getting your pancreas removed because it makes you walk with a limp.....;)

lol ok I see :D I remember something being said to me before about this, but I think it was when I had teeth out to make room for orthodontic treatment. I guess I'm just hoping its a simple extraction because I cant really afford a complicated one :o The tooth itself seems to be fine, its just that there's definitely some gum covering part of it. :(

Advertisement