Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn off Windows 7 Updates?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Is there any need for updates... i hate the way they take ages to download or install etc. I have Microsoft Security Essentials set up and that should protect my computer...do i need updates?

i havnt a clue really... all advice welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Yes, yes you do. :)

Updates patch security holes in Windows and other Microsoft software. Security Essentials itself is updated via Windows Update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have mine to prompt me so I can choose when to install the bigger updates.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Piriz wrote: »
    Is there any need for updates... i hate the way they take ages to download or install etc. I have Microsoft Security Essentials set up and that should protect my computer...do i need updates?

i havnt a clue really... all advice welcome...

Yes they're very important to the stability and security of your computer. I doubt you want to have your computer compromised and have personnel information stolen to prove that.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not a bad product but is only part of the defense against worms, viruses and Malware.

Microsoft release patches on a montly basis with the occasional critical update released in between. If the updates are annoying you leave your PC on in the evening and Windows can be instructed to patch and shutdown your PC afterwards.

LoGiE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you don't have bandwidth and you know someone who does you can use this

C2KfQ.jpg

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The bad guys will dissect the monthly updates to see what was patched. Then write nasty stuff to infect PC's for people who don't update. Makes life easier for them.

• Advertisement

Not strictly on topic but not too long ago there was a major Java exploit which was spreading fake anti-virus scareware. On one occasion, someone posted a dodgy link in After Hours which had the exploit on it - the only reason I didn't get caught out was that I had my Java up to date. My AV didn't catch it but I know MSE did as was reported by other users.

The same would apply to Windows updates so I certainly wouldn't recommend turning them off.

Advertisement