Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I completed a degree in accounting(NCI) several years ago. Been working in retail banking since then and I'm looking for a career change. I'm thinking ACCA. My company wont pay for any exams so whats the best place to sit the ACCA. Looking at DBS or Griffith at the moment. any other suggestions or routes to becoming qualified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

You can just buy the books and study the material independently. I'd suggest this especially for the first few papers, there are also several online resources you can use.

You may also be exempt from some of the exams if you finished your accounting degree less than 10 years ago, check on the ACCA website.

Apparat from the computer based exams you sit the ACCA at exam centres organised and run by the ACCA not at the colleges which provide tuition. I sat all of mine in Croke Park but Marino CCE is also used for Dublin based candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lynnfitz89

johnfitz69 wrote: »
    I completed a degree in accounting(NCI) several years ago. Been working in retail banking since then and I'm looking for a career change. I'm thinking ACCA. My company wont pay for any exams so whats the best place to sit the ACCA. Looking at DBS or Griffith at the moment. any other suggestions or routes to becoming qualified.

I done a degree in NCI in accounting also, check this link for the exemptions -

https://portal.accaglobal.com/accrweb/faces/page/public/accreditations/enquiry/main/EnqInstitutionsTable.jspx

I got a good few, you just need to send them a copy of your final results to get the exemptions.

Depending on what exam you are sitting but the F's are do-able from home study try looking at notes on opentuition.com (register and have a look at there study book = v.good) and mapit accounting and youtube. just saves paying a lot to the college when actually all the materials are available online anyways even mock exams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tiddlepops

Hi Guys, Im just thinking of doing Acca and just came across this thread.. Where can you buy the books? Is it possible to do a couple of the first exams by myself without paying a college for distance learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lynnfitz89

tiddlepops wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Im just thinking of doing Acca and just came across this thread.. Where can you buy the books? Is it possible to do a couple of the first exams by myself without paying a college for distance learning?

Yes definitely possible, you can buy books from any of the providers like kaplan etc - http://kaplan-publishing.kaplan.co.uk/acca-books/Pages/default.aspx

or you can get them on ebay or amazon... - (just make sure they are the up to date editions as there is always syllabus changes)

also lots of free material online - opentuition.com etc.

As I think it was said before but even if you go to college you still pay the ACCA separately to sit the exams and sit them independently at an ACCA centre no matter were you actually study.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tiddlepops

lynnfitz89 wrote: »
    Yes definitely possible, you can buy books from any of the providers like kaplan etc - http://kaplan-publishing.kaplan.co.uk/acca-books/Pages/default.aspx

or you can get them on ebay or amazon... - (just make sure they are the up to date editions as there is always syllabus changes)

also lots of free material online - opentuition.com etc.

As I think it was said before but even if you go to college you still pay the ACCA separately to sit the exams and sit them independently at an ACCA centre no matter were you actually study.

Thanks for that.. i will have to look into costs and see whats the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 therosC

johnfitz69 wrote: »

How have you done since.
    I am also in Retail Banking and have signed up for ACCA. Have some exemptions but have decided to do the CBEs for F2 &F3 as a refresher.
    Did you change career?

Advertisement