Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please !! Bru na Pairce

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey :D I just finished transition year and im now going down to Bru na Pairce in Killarney to do the leaving cert course in August. But now I am beginning to panic a bit and think that it’ll be way too hard for me and Ill be lost because I just finished transition year please help !!!! So Im wondering are any other transition years going ?!?!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I went there last year, it was a tough 10 days with Irish; but it was thoroughly enjoyable for me. There are 12 hours of study (9am until 9pm), but many breaks and an hour off in that for food. It got me through my Irish exam a few days ago, without their notes I'd be in a spot of bother. :o Don't worry about who else is going to be there, when I was there, it was all 5th year guys and I knew no one else. I made a good few friends there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

I'm not going, I've heard it's really intense though. I'd prefer to go after fifth year if I did go.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Hey :D I just finished transition year and im now going down to Bru na Pairce in Killarney to do the leaving cert course in August. But now I am beginning to panic a bit and think that it’ll be way too hard for me and Ill be lost because I just finished transition year please help !!!! So Im wondering are any other transition years going ?!?!?!?

I'm going to the one in August, and was pretty sure only those doing the LC in 2013 were allowed to do it...

You'll probably be at a disadvantage if you haven't done any of the poetry or prose off the LC course, and your Irish might not be as good coming out of TY as it would be after 5th Year. Idk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm back from the last course and being honest I think you are going to find it hard. It's not so much that the work is unbelievably hard (well I didn't find it to be) but that the hours are very long so you will be really tired. They give you notes on the homework that we have so you won't be totally lost for what to say. We also got essays to do and also had an essay test. We couldn't use a dictionary, notes etc and it could have been on anything we had done while there so I'd say you may be a bit lost there. The classes are divided into As, Bs and Cs. I didn't have all the poetry or pros done (luckily we didn't have homework on the ones I hadn't done) and neither did a lot of people. Just bring your book and you can use the notes from that as well as their notes and you should be ok however I think you would benefit a lot more by going next year instead.

I'm back from the last course and being honest I think you are going to find it hard. It's not so much that the work is unbelievably hard (well I didn't find it to be) but that the hours are very long so you will be really tired. They give you notes on the homework that we have so you won't be totally lost for what to say. We also got essays to do and also had an essay test. We couldn't use a dictionary, notes etc and it could have been on anything we had done while there so I'd say you may be a bit lost there. The classes are divided into As, Bs and Cs. I didn't have all the poetry or pros done (luckily we didn't have homework on the ones I hadn't done) and neither did a lot of people. Just bring your book and you can use the notes from that as well as their notes and you should be ok however I think you would benefit a lot more by going next year instead.

Just wondering, what did you bring with you to the course? I'm thinking...a ring binder, my textbook(s), A4 notebook, dictionary, maybe my notes from school? Also on what basis did they divide up the classes into As, Bs and Cs? Was it the JC results? I'm just curious about how they did that :)

• Advertisement

MegGustaa wrote: »

Just wondering, what did you bring with you to the course? I'm thinking...a ring binder, my textbook(s), A4 notebook, dictionary, maybe my notes from school? Also on what basis did they divide up the classes into As, Bs and Cs? Was it the JC results? I'm just curious about how they did that :)
    I would bring a folder, dividers, a refill pad, lots of wallets (if you want to put your sheets in), a vocab copy if you want, notes from school, fiuntas (or any irish book but fiuntas is usedmore), dictionary, stapler may be handy. The email you get saya to bring an irish oral book if you have one but you dont really need it (well we didn't). Most had Ar Aghaidh Libh but they had books for most people to look into so you didn't really need it. I think that's all I brought but I'm not totally sure.
    The classes are split into As, Bs and Cs from the JC. I didn't find it half as bad as it was meant to be!

I would bring a folder, dividers, a refill pad, lots of wallets (if you want to put your sheets in), a vocab copy if you want, notes from school, fiuntas (or any irish book but fiuntas is usedmore), dictionary, stapler may be handy. The email you get saya to bring an irish oral book if you have one but you dont really need it (well we didn't). Most had Ar Aghaidh Libh but they had books for most people to look into so you didn't really need it. I think that's all I brought but I'm not totally sure.
    The classes are split into As, Bs and Cs from the JC. I didn't find it half as bad as it was meant to be!

Great, thanks a lot! I have Fiuntas and An dTuigeann Tú?, both of which cover all the poetry and prose, but I'll just bring both I think :D Hmm. Didn't get an email yet, but my mom's away at the moment so maybe she did...

MegGustaa wrote: »

Great, thanks a lot! I have Fiuntas and An dTuigeann Tú?, both of which cover all the poetry and prose, but I'll just bring both I think :D Hmm. Didn't get an email yet, but my mom's away at the moment so maybe she did...
    I think I got it a week in advance but it just tells you to bring the things and €20 for photocopying.

Advertisement