Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB radio

Options
  • 11-06-2012 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a DAB radio. I live in Mayo and wonder what stations I will be able to get. Are Today FM and Newstalk available.
    Would I be better off getting a internet radio?
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking of getting a DAB radio. I live in Mayo and wonder what stations I will be able to get. Are Today FM and Newstalk available.
    Would I be better off getting a internet radio?
    Thanks very much.

If you have decent broadband internet radio is the way to go IMO. I have both DAB and internet radio but rarely use DAB because channel choice is too limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

According to http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/rte-radio-ways-to-listen.html#analogue-digital, updated on 17 April 2012,
    digital radio is only available in "Cork and Limerick cities and the greater Dublin area."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Not really worth it, you only get the RTE supported DAB channels, the commercial radios dropped DAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah, I'd 100% agree. It's about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and that's in the areas with coverage, which Mayo is not.

Definitely get yourself a good internet radio instead.

There are some that run Android and TuneIn Radio. Nicer interface than most of the others.

What you get on DAB in Cork is : RTE Radio 1, RTE Radio 1 Extra (LW), RTE 2FM, RTE 2XM, RTE Pulse, RTE Chill, RTE Junior and RTE Lyric FM & RnaG .. there is no commercial content at all.

It's very disappointing to be honest and absolutely not worth splashing money out on.

Internet radio is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Probably wont be much use to ya in mayo. There will be more dab stations comin on air this summer on a trial. For anyone goin to pick one up make sure it's dab+ next level dab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭decies

Internet radio is the way to go mind you I have a Roberts Internet and dab radio, the dab bit in Waterford is on a temporary trail which is hopeless to be honest . I use tunein radio app even in the car to listen to Internet radio, frankly don't know myself with the crystal clear sound on I phone and the choices involved , not to mention the ability to listen to sports that are normally geoblocked!! RIP DAB IN IRELAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are some nice radios that use Android and TuneIn Radio.

http://www.archos.com/products/ah/archos_35_hc/index.html?country=sn&lang=en

For example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

DAB is a waste of time in Ireland.

BBC is not great but at least it has five live and 6 music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭decies

And bbc radio 4 and five live sports extra. Would love to know the daily listenership to dab compared to Internet radio.?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

i'd hardly call it a waste of time. It's very much early days for it but not a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

decies wrote: »
    Would love to know the daily listenership to dab compared to Internet radio.?

Internet listenership is a fraction of a percentage for even the big stations. Most Irish local stations would max out with around 50 listeners online at peak times (morning talk shows/GAA matches). Those simulcasting on DAB, Internet and TV would achieve a far higher listenership through the TV than internet and DAB is way higher than all the rest.

And to the person who said that the commercial sector abandoned DAB, you're absolutely wrong. The BAI is still not allowing independent operators to licence a multiplex and launch a commercial service despite several groups being ready to launch a commercial service. Thus the advent of several listener trials, the South East regional one for the last 2 years which has brought several new niche stations that were previously unavailable to the region, and the upcoming Dublin trial.

Advertisement