Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schull school

Options
  • 11-06-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We want to move to the Schull area with our 11 year old daughter, can anyone give me an idea of what Schull school is like, including academically (league table) please. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

We want to move to the Schull area with our 11 year old daughter, can anyone give me an idea of what Schull school is like, including academically (league table) please. :)

On mobile, so can't link properly, but this will get you to the latest whole school evaluation:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/report1_20088F.pdf?language=EN

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are no such things as academic league tables. Some papers choose to use the figures of those children going to certain third level colleges to rank schools. Funnily enough, kids near UCD tend to go to UCD, those by UCC are more likely to go there.

Is it primary or secondary you are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

On mobile, so can't link properly, but this will get you to the latest whole school evaluation:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/report1_20088F.pdf?language=EN

Can I ask would every school have a report as per this one? I tried finding one for my child's school but I could only get book references to a book ....
    thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Reports are only published on the net in the last few years. Try the school name in Irish, it may be there under that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Reports are only published on the net in the last few years. Try the school name in Irish, it may be there under that name.

no luck, the whole school book reference says last evaluation was 2006 so that probably explains why there is no soft copy. We must be due an inspection next year so....
    Thanks again for help

edit : via the schooldays.ie website I found the latest whole school evaluation , hope this might help someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ascensionelle

Thanks LilMrsDahamsta the report is a great help. Does anyone have any other recommendations for post primary schools in the area?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Secondary schools in the area include skibbereen aprox 10 miles from schull,bantry 20 miles away.The school in bantry is new just opened this year,I dont know much about the school in skib.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

When I lived in Schull a long time ago, the school had a great reputation for extra curricular activities, especially sailing, had the only planetarium in Ireland, etc. Very multi-cultural, with a lot of students originally from different countries. The schools in Skibbereen (Mercy Heights for girls, De la Salle for boys) were academically very good I believe. A number of the students from the Schull area boarded in the convent at Mount St. Michael secondary school in Rosscarbery.

My information is probably outdated by now, but from my experience, these are all good schools with good tradition.

Advertisement