Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 11-06-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I am currently in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance. I pay €100 rent per week. Would anybody know if I would qualify for rent allowance? I feel that my rent may be too high? I really don't want to claim it but am finding it so difficult to survive on €188 a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you weren't working when you entered into the tenancy, you will also need a local authority assessment before you are eligible for rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Hi there, question that's prob asked so many times but would I be entitled to rent allowance ? I'm a single mom of one, work 20 hrs a week, receive opfa, fis and maintenance. I'm on the local authority housing about 3 yrs now as there is 5 living in the family home and it's a three bed house so I am sharing my room with my four n half year old son. Would I still have to go rent privately(6mths) first before considered for RA? And would I be still considered for RA?

Any info would be great :-)
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Whether your entitled to RA or not is up to the CWO tbh, as it is stated in the rules that you have to be renting privately for 6 out of the last 12mths or in need of social housing....if i was in your situation I would stay where I am, the reason for this is due to the length of time you have already been on waiting list for social housing, and if you are living in a packed house then you are probably high up there.

My sister lived in my mams with her son in a box room sharing a double bed for just over 3yrs before she got her apartment and if I had a choice between renting privately and waiting on a social apartment then I would wait on a social apartment. It is yours for life, and you dont have to deal with crappy landlords. I would be ringing or going to the council office to see where you are on the list also there are other housing authorities that work in close contact with the council eg cluid, that office social housing and if you request to go through them you can get housed quicker, just a suggestion

I have rented for nearly 12yrs now and would give anything to have what my sister has, so I'd stick with it and go see where you stand with the council

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

edellc wrote: »
    Whether your entitled to RA or not is up to the CWO tbh, as it is stated in the rules that you have to be renting privately for 6 out of the last 12mths or in need of social housing....if i was in your situation I would stay where I am, the reason for this is due to the length of time you have already been on waiting list for social housing, and if you are living in a packed house then you are probably high up there.

My sister lived in my mams with her son in a box room sharing a double bed for just over 3yrs before she got her apartment and if I had a choice between renting privately and waiting on a social apartment then I would wait on a social apartment. It is yours for life, and you dont have to deal with crappy landlords. I would be ringing or going to the council office to see where you are on the list also there are other housing authorities that work in close contact with the council eg cluid, that office social housing and if you request to go through them you can get housed quicker, just a suggestion

I have rented for nearly 12yrs now and would give anything to have what my sister has, so I'd stick with it and go see where you stand with the council

Thanks for the reply, I've been going in every two months for over a yr now with a local councillors secretary to see if there is any up date and still no joy.... they don't use the points system as to indicate where I am on the list so I haven't a clue where I am on it. They have people on the list over 5 yrs now and still no joy . I'm limerick. My son will be starting school in September and sher I already get "I see mammys *****" god only knows what he'll say in school.lol ... the local authority r aware he is coming to school age too so hopefully something will happen. Lucky sister.... I never heard of cluid...I must look it up, did ur sis go through this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

yeah she went through cluid, there are others too but not sure of their names maybe council can advise more that might be local to limerick, I can only imagine your mortification with what your lad is saying and its not something you want advertised in school...I know that her fella was in school before she got a place as sharing a bed with a boy of 5 is not acceptable, but going through cluid fast tracked her and she got her place, lucky cow

just googled housing associations and this is what came up, maybe worth giving some of them a call and see if they can help you

http://www.icsh.ie/eng/list_of_members/limerick/general_needs

best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fennellryan

green123 wrote: »
    yes your rent might be too high, have a read of this and see if you qualify :

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Thanks for that :) I'm currently on an 'internship' with JobBridge- ie: working for nothing!! But I have decided this week that enough is enough and that I'm going to go back to university and finish the degree which I dropped out of 7 years ago!

I just cannot bear the thoughts of living on the dole any longer; it's just soul destroying and I cannot fathom how some people might choose it as a 'lifestyle choice'!!

This is my second 6month internship (in the hope they would lead to paid employment), I've done lots of FAS courses, I'm a trained legal secretary, I have an IT Diploma, I have applied for hundreds of jobs and I am just getting nowhere fast!! :cool:

Advertisement