Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 5

Options
  • 10-06-2012 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi guys, Forgive me if this is a stupid question.I live in Co Waterford and am not allowed to put up a satalite dish in my apartment complex. I was just wondering if there is any other way to receive free to air channels like Channel 5 without using a dish? I can pick up rte/tv3/itv/bbc1&2 and ch4 just using my ariel. Is there some kind of box i can buy to pick up ch5 and other free to air brittish stations or do i have to get the dish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Do you have a flat screen TV? If so, try doing a digital tune and see if any stations come up. If you're getting the UK stations directly from the UK, there's a pretty good chance (I'd think) that you'd pick up their Freeview channels as well.

Thinking about this though... isn't the entire UK (apart from Northern Ireland) now digital-only? If so, I'm wondering where you're getting the UK channels from...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

EditL byrnefm is right.

Is there some sort of apartment wide cable Tv system?

Are u getting the channels via a rabbits ears or plugging into a wall outlet?

Do you pay anything for this TV service to UPC or someone?

As for no Satellite dishes allowed, you could campaign to the management company to get one dish installed on the roof and all apartments share it for Sky, Free UK channels via Sat and Irish Channels through Saorview. In some cases Sky install everything for free. I can explain more if needed.

If your apartment is on the south East side you can also get neat tiny hidden dishes that no-one will notice

See the thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132609

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

The channels I receive are through a cable on the wall, I asked the management ccompany and they said the cable is not connected to any dish and is meant to supply just the Irish stations but I pick up the following:
    RTE 1
    RTE 2 hd
    Tv3
    TG4
    BBC 1&2 London
    ITV1 London and ch4 London
    I tried using rabbit ears and I can pick up the same stations although reception is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Still 3 regions in UK to change over
    Meridian TV region is in progress and will be completed by 13th June
    Tyne Tees region will start digital TV from 12 September 2012.
    then NI on the 10 October 2012.

If that is the case the apartment has one shared aerial on the roof then get a Saorview box. A Saorview box will pick up Saorview and the UK Freeview channels, which includes channel 5.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/Channels

It may not be reliable for UK channels during the summer but it is the best you can expect.

Alternatively have a look hidden balcony satellite dishes (if you are on the south east side) or have a look at one shared dish for all apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The only way the OP could be getting the London versions in Waterford is by some form of satellite setup done on the cheap.

OK. Can you get up to the roof and confirm the building does not indeed already have a satellite dish somewhere?

If not can you walk all around the perimeter and look from ground level?

As the management company who they call when the system breaks? The person who installed it should know!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

The only way the OP could be getting the London versions in Waterford is by some form of satellite setup done on the cheap.

Perhaps there's a deflector system still transmitting in Waterford? Is Coastal Multi Systems still operating or have they shut down their transmissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Yes thats how your getting them, think the deflector is not shut down yet.
    Which would explain it ok

Advertisement