Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a TV antenna installed (Longwood, Co. Meath)

Options
  • 10-06-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for someone to install a TV antenna to my place in Longwood. Having a bit of trouble finding someone to do this. Does anyone know of a reputable TV electrician who can fit one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Hi

We got a guy from Dublin. The new aerials just go on the side of houses now...ie saorview and are not such a big deal to install as the older version. I thing you should be going soarview route. There are lots of installers....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Louis Doyle in Kilmessan should be able to do it, he's been installing aerials and dished for longer than I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Or you could buy the aerial yourself Rofl...

http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-and-radio-aerials/uhf-aerials.html

saorview-uhf-tv-aerial-black.jpg

And a signal finder to point your new aerial in the right direction...

http://www.tvtrade.ie/uhf-meter-and-satellite-finder.html

fringe-uhf-meter-and-satellite-tv-signal-finder.jpg

And save yourself a fortune.

I got a quote from three companies around meath and the cheapest was €150 and the dearest was €215!

After doing a bit of research with thanks to the lads on the tv/sat forums on boards, the aerial i picked was the black wideband aerial (as there are different colour groups depending on where you live in Ireland - but the black one will cover all places) - this cost €12.25 and then i got the signal finder (which works for sat too) for €45.50 (you can get the same one about a tenner/fifteen euro less on amazon though).

I already had a pole in place so it took 15 minute to mount, point in right direction and lock in place. Job done.

And to boot, the signal finder paid for itself as i did my parents, parents in law and sisters house aerial before selling the signal finder on done deal for only a fiver less than i paid for it.

So all in it cost less than €30 (inc. delivery charge of €7.50) to do mine.

Hope this helps Rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

Access, thanks for the great response. That page of aerials you link to, they're organised by colour code. Which one would you recommend, baring in mind that I need to get saorview reception?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Access, thanks for the great response. That page of aerials you link to, they're organised by colour code. Which one would you recommend, baring in mind that I need to get saorview reception?

Black for wideband. Unless you know what specific transmitter you would be pointing at, a wideband rather than a grouped one would be best.

I'm in Trim and I get my Saorview from Clermont Carn, near Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

No Probs - glad to help!...

Paulo is right... Black... its the one i have as it can be used anywhere in the country - pointing at any transmitter.

Dont worry about finding out what transmitter you should be pointed at either... the signal finder has 12 leds which light depending on the signal strength... just wire up the aerial (videos available on that suppliers website) and mount it to your pole (1 - 2 leds lighting = poor signal, 10 - 12 leds lighting = perfect signal) just mount the aerial to the pole (not tightly so you can turn it on the pole) and turn it slowly to register the maximum amount of leds lighting... once maximum signal is found... just lock the aerial in place on the pole with your spanner.

My saorview signal was about 7 leds out of 12... this is the best i could achieve as i have loads of trees around the house but the signal is perfect and no break up of the picture in the past year... even in heavy rain or snow.

RTE2 HD is unreal on a HD TV - the Euro matches were crystal clear.

*One word of warning though... if in doubt of any of this installation... do get in a professional installer, as climbing ladders and putting up aerials is particularly dangerous work and if in doubt - dont do it yourself.

I was lucky enough as i didnt have to go on a roof... it was mounted on a side wall on the house over an extension.

Advertisement