Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSB casual claimant query

Options
  • 10-06-2012 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im wondering if anybody can help me out here I cant seem to find the right advice online.I-ve been claiming casual jsb for a number of months now which was pretty straight forward (2 or 3 x7 hour shifts weekly)but now my employer has moved me to another department and the shifts are all over the place and im not entirely sure what affect this may have on my claim.

Basically I could be working 2 shifts on the one day say a 6am-11 am shift then a 10pm-2am shift .And I cant figure out whether this would count as 1 or 2 days for sw purposes.

Also my overall hours will vary greatly from week to week basically anything from 0 - 40 hours depending on client needs.I noted it states that 3x12 hour shifts is classed as full time work but does that still count if one of those 12 hour shifts is a sunday for example.

A typical average week in my new department seems to be approx 20-30 hours spread over thursday to sunday(3-6 shifts) and basically im trying to find out if I can still claim casual jsb because to be honest if I cant claim theres no point in me working anymore because i-d have to work 25 hours just to break even if my claim was stopped.

Any advice greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Will depend on how many days you work. Their week runs from Thursday to Wednesday. Any week that you work more than 3 days you will not get ANY payment (they don't take Sundays into account yet, although this is set to change next year). For weeks that you work three days or less, you'll get a reduced payment.

The way that the number of days worked affects your payment is also set to change from next month. Currently if you work 3 days, you get paid for 3 days. From next month, if you work 3 days, you get paid for 2.

For example, if you work Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Wednesday one week, you will get paid (currently 1/2 of the rate, but from July 2/5 of the rate).

If you work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday the next week, you won't get paid at all (as you have worked 4 days in the week and are therefore not considered to be unemployed).

Do you have any kids? If so, then Family Income Supplement may bridge the gap.

Advertisement