Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid in Portlaoise

Options
  • 10-06-2012 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys, I was thinking of a possible move to Portlaoise and was wondering if there were any places known to have troubles that you would recommend to stay away from in case I decided to live in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Lakeglen is one to defo avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tokenv

It seems like a very small area, what's going on there in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Parts of St Bridget's Place can be dodgy. Same goes for the Knockmay area. It's always just a small crowd that give the place a bad rep for everyone else.

tokenv wrote: »
    It seems like a very small area, what's going on there in particular?

It doesn't matter what size an area is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKYq63eS5Q

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tokenv

Yes I was just surprised at how localized something could be.

The video to me looks just like kids being dumb, am I missing something?

In any case thanks for the tips and information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Nah, Lakeglen has a pretty bad reputation for antisocial teens and the like. Possibly the worst in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Aquila wrote: »
    Give it time, parts of Kilminchy and Fairgreen will be far worse for anti-social behavior..

Thats true, parts of Esker Hills are already brutal from what Ive heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Hm... Living in esker hills myself and find that hard to believe. 550 houses here so bound to be some bad eggs, but I see very few problems.
    Painting esker hills with the same brush as lakeglen is very harsh.

I'll try spelling it out which I probably should have in the first place... It's a kip, ex counsel estate full of junkies at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Bicky wrote: »
    Hm... Living in esker hills myself and find that hard to believe. 550 houses here so bound to be some bad eggs, but I see very few problems.
    Painting esker hills with the same brush as lakeglen is very harsh.

When did I paint them with the same brush? I said nothing about Lakeglen because I dont know anything about Lakeglen. You're right though, of course there will be some bad eggs but I nearly walked into a mini traveller riot in Esker Hills one night. And its not the first or last time something like that will occur up there. Dunno what part your in but you're obviously far enough away from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

It doesn't matter what size an area is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKYq63eS5Q

I think that could be a video of kids in Lakeglen Belfast judging by their accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m4lloc

Hey,

I am considering buying a property in Portlaoise, and I was wondering if all of the above still holds, or if there are other areas that I should remove or add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Anywhere south of the train line seems fine for the most part (maybe not too close to the leisure centre). I'm up on the Abbeyleix road and have family around the new Mount Stewart estate and it's fine, far safer than Dublin. I've been back to Dublin a few times since moving, the difference is startling.

Advertisement