Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers benefit question

Options
  • 09-06-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am putting up this message on behalf of a friend. She was working full time up until she had her 2nd child and got the full state maternity pay at this time.
    She did not sign on when her maternity leave was finished. Her husband was self employed and earning good money at the time but circumstances have now changed.
    Due to the amount of prsi payments she made in the past I think she is entitled to job seekers benefit. She is looking for work at the moment and has prof of this. Could any one give me advice on this? Has any one got job seekers benefit with similar circumstances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When did she last work?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

As well as having the required contributions, she will also have to have suffered a loss of employment. They assess your normal level of employment over the past 13 weeks, but you can ask them to assess you over the past 26 or 52 weeks if you haven't had any employment recently.

If you haven't worked for the past year, you have no employment to lose, so won't be eligible for Jobseekers Benefit. They will consider any time on Maternity Leave as being in employment.

If you don't have entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit, you may have entitlement to Jobseekers Allowance. It is means tested, but isn't subject to the loss of employment rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

okiss wrote: »
    I am putting up this message on behalf of a friend. She was working full time up until she had her 2nd child and got the full state maternity pay at this time.
    She did not sign on when her maternity leave was finished. Her husband was self employed and earning good money at the time but circumstances have now changed.
    Due to the amount of prsi payments she made in the past I think she is entitled to job seekers benefit. She is looking for work at the moment and has prof of this. Could any one give me advice on this? Has any one got job seekers benefit with similar circumstances.

If she has the necessary contributions in 2010 and the necessary number of contributions overall she should have an entitlement to jsb even though she has not worked in the last year. When she goes in to make her claim tell her to bring in proof of looking for work.

Advertisement