Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 Ads

Options
  • 09-06-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Dia Dhaoibh!

What do you think of the ads in TG4 being in English.

Global brands can afford to have there adds dubbed, they just won't of there own volition, it could help create a few jobs also.

If they were in Irish it would be very helpful for learners like myself, due to there repetitive nature.

Just a though.
    W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Dia Dhaoibh!

What do you think of the ads in TG4 being in English.

Global brands can afford to have there adds dubbed, they just won't of there own volition, it could help create a few jobs also.

If they were in Irish it would be very helpful for learners like myself, due to there repetitive nature.

Just a though.
    W

The standard answer to any good idea: It costs money. Why would they bother helping poor you when they could use the money to turn over a bigger profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

A few years ago, when they got a discount for translating them to Irish, there was quite a few. Remember the Kitkat ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Hi An gal gréine

Yeah Kit kat ad in the only one I can remember "Tóg sos, tóg Kit Kat"

The ESB, Vodafone, and Barry's Tea had ads too. Club Orange had the brilliant 'Scaoil an Fuinneamh'. They are easy to forget, Whatthefeck, when they vanish from the tv screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

At least at one time, ads from the government and semi-states used to put their ads on TG4 in Irish, but now I see that a lot of them are just in English.

What ever happened to that statute about Irish having equal status to English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Best thing to do is complain directly to them so. Things won't change unless public pressure is brought to bear on them.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/contact-us.html

A bigger bigbear for me is the fact that so few of their Irish programmes are broadcast without subtitles. Seeing as so many channels now have +1 or HD versions of themselves (such as RTÉ) in the digital age, TG4 should really have a 'Gan Fotheidil' service.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Gael wrote: »

A bigger bigbear for me is the fact that so few of their Irish programmes are broadcast without subtitles. Seeing as so many channels now have +1 or HD versions of themselves (such as RTÉ) in the digital age, TG4 should really have a 'Gan Fotheidil' service.

Or at least with saorview, they could just get rid of the subtitles altogether and make them optional like on the digital equivalent of 888. It would be pretty simple to do. I don't understand why they don't do it already.

More punters watching (or reading anyway) so ratings increase and then more ads sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Money keeps TG4 going, we can have all Irish ads and no money or English ads and money.

A no brainer really.

Yes, but the compromise of some years back of giving companies a discount if part or all of the ad was in Irish was popular and a pity it stopped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement