Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity rates , confused

Options
  • 09-06-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

heya , ive been working for my boss for the last five years on a part-time basic which was around 24 hours a week , got pregnant in 2010 took my maternity leave in oct 2010 till may 2011 and got paid the full maternity benefits , found out i was pregnant again on sept 2011 and i apply for maternity benefits in may 2012 , but this time they issued me the minimum rates .. + only coped that the date of commencement of job on my p60 is from december 2011 when i asked the accountant she said my boss change the name of the company which he previously had me under ,but dat shouldnt be a bother .. so my question is am i getting d right maternity rates thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The rate of maternity benefit is 80% of your average weekly earnings in the relevant tax year. For 2012, the relevant tax year is 2010.
    So depends on your earnings in that year. Not when you started work. Have a look at welfare.ie or citizens information for more detailed explanation of how it's calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brunette17

yea , but ive been working d same hours since im in this job, so if i was qualify for a full maternity rates before , why not now , i think its probably something to do with me boss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

As I said its to do with your rate of pay in 2010. What does your P60 for 2010 say you earned in that year? And how many weeks does it state you worked? Divide the pay by the number of weeks to get your average weekly earnings. Then 80% of this is what you should receive in maternity benefit - up to the minimum and max rates.
    Do the figures work out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

to State Benefits

gotta find dat p60 first , thanks guys .. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It doesnt go on the usual year if you were on maternity leave during that year.

Usually your benefit would be based on 2010, but as you were on maternity during that year, it may be based on 2009, it will be written on your letter telling you that you have been awarded benefit.

I was on maternity in 2010-2011, so this time my maternity was based on my wages in 2009.

i supposed dats right:rolleyes: , its just dat my boss is an a*****e:mad: , he always had me on me payslips doing 24 - 25 hours , but in 2007 to 2009 i was doing 6 to 7 days a week,(he didnt even had me on d minimum wages dat time,only after finding out that i was pregnant ) , but i hadnt had a clue whereas he was paying tax or my prsi , coz em payslips he issued us was doggie , but after i found out i was pregnant wi me 1st one i started working only 3 to 4 days which is in 2010 but after my maternity when i went back i was still doing 3 to 4 days , so i supposed dats y im getting d minimum rate , its better than nothing lol , thanks for yr help guys ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Id go to the local tax office and ask for a statement of your prsi contributions since you started working. Also if your partner is earning less than about 250 perr week, your payment could be increased.

Advertisement