Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Eye

Options
  • 09-06-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Brendan Balfe back on RTE Radio 1 with a series about the coming of television to Ireland. The first show was very impressive and a great foil to the Green Tea and 2nd. Republic inferiors.
    1.05 to 2PM for a few weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

It was really good stuff, infinitley better than The Second Republic. I think they said at the end that it was going be on for 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,304 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great programme, always good to hear Mr. Balfe on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Agree with all of the above, I was listening attentively. Mr.Balfe is a whizz at digging out archive clips. The next eleven Saturdays I will be looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Loved it. Great clips & his narration was perfect as ever.

Would love to see that first showing of the National Anthem on RTE - sounded like a real hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck moment the way the man remembered it.
    Also, how incredibly charismatic did the late Eamonn Andrews sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Has anybody got a link to a podcast or a listen again stream of this show?

I can't find anything on the RTE website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Skid wrote: »
    Has anybody got a link to a podcast or a listen again stream of this show?

I can't find anything on the RTE website.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3312246%3A10908%3A09-06-2012%3A

washiskin wrote: »
    Would love to see that first showing of the National Anthem on RTE - sounded like a real hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck moment the way the man remembered it.

I think this is the original anthem, although possibly not from the first broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Looks like the one the man was talking about, thanks Skid.

Such a shame we never see the little film and anthem at the end of the night anymore. Surely money can be saved by just shutting down after midnight instead of regurgitation of mindless crap peppered with the occasional good film.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 72,304 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Another great episode, especially the JFK stuff.

• Advertisement

Another great episode, especially the JFK stuff.

Cracking show. There is so much interesting material covered in each episode you would need to listen again to appreciate it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Excellent programme the John F Kennedy reporting on his irish visit in 1963 it was moving

Great stuff Brendan Balfe

I didn't enjoy it as much today.

Eamonn Andrews did almost all his Broadcasting in Britain, and this was the focus of the episode. His contribution to RTE was as chairman rather than on screen. It seemed slightly incongruous with the series thus far.

It would have been a grand episode of a programme looking at Ireland's most successful broadcasters, but not so much in a series looking at the history of RTE TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Skid wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy it as much today.

Eamonn Andrews did almost all his Broadcasting in Britain, and this was the focus of the episode. His contribution to RTE was as chairman rather than on screen. It seemed slightly incongruous with the series thus far.

It would have been a grand episode of a programme looking at Ireland's most successful broadcasters, but not so much in a series looking at the history of RTE TV.
    Have to agree with SKID.
    Eamonn was certainly a skilled broadcaster but on BBC rather than RTE. A show about him would be of interest.

Advertisement