Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biodegradable soap?

Options
  • 09-06-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, does anyone know where I might be able to get this in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

pog it wrote: »

More a question for clear.gifSustainability & Environmental Issues ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Health food shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Not really. It's used by people on long hiking trips, camping, etc. Therefore should be fit for this forum's purpose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not really. It's used by people on long hiking trips, camping, etc. Therefore should be fit for this forum's purpose.

Most people now just use baby-wipes, cuts down on the need for water when using soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Sorry OP my first thought was you might have scrolled down to quick and found us instead of S&IE :)

I'd also add that while most of us here would probably be in favour of biodigradable products the requirments of surviving at least in the short term would be the primary thought in our preparations.

You might like to check up online to check if I'm right or wrong but afaik Wrights Coal Tar Soap has a reputation for being phosphate free and biodegradeable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

not sure what part of soap is not biodegradable?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

In a survival situation and if bugging out one does not want to smell of soap or deodarant or cologne.
    You can be smelled before you can be seen then.
    One needs to blend into the envioroment especially if hunting for animals to eat and protect your self from predators...the human kind!.

wolfeye wrote: »
    In a survival situation and if bugging out one does not want to smell of soap or deodarant or cologne.
    You can be smelled before you can be seen then.
    One needs to blend into the envioroment especially if hunting for animals to eat and protect your self from predators...the human kind!.

on the other hand, what about fungal and bacterial infections which could be dangerous or at least slow you down? Deo may be a luxury but i don't think soap is.

Just lost my reply after lost net connection ..here i go again.

I guess if one gets an infection depends on ones immune system and once one gets it soap wont be alot of use me thinks.

If infection is bacterial in origin one would need antibiotics.
    If none available lemon grass is meant to be good for both bacterial and fungal infections.
    Marigold is good for inflammation
    Having tea tree oil in ones bug out bag would be handy, cures both bacterial and fungal infections.apply externally only.

Better still to make ones own soap perfume free.
    chop up pieces of animal fat and boil in water to render it.
    Then put the grease in another container.
    Strain water through some ashes to give potash.
    Mix 2 parts grease to one part potash and boil to make soap.

Also to wash ones dishes and pots in the wilderness just use ashes from the camp fire.
    Grease is already on the pots and plates fron the animal cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I dont know where you would get it in dublin but it only takes a couple of days to get it from the uk
    http://heinnie.com/Hygiene/Sea-to-Summit-Hygiene/Sea-to-Summit-Wilderness-Wash/p-779-780-5418/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Is eco-friendly always biodegradable? If so, two links that might help:

Econatural, I've bought 5 litres of ecover from them before, (have to keep the microorganisms in the bio-system alive...apparently), fast delivery, bit expensive.

http://www.econatural.ie/

Or the Dublin Food Co-op, I saw somewhere that they'll order stuff if there's demand for it.
    http://www.dublinfood.coop/html/non_food.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Cliona99 wrote: »

Or the Dublin Food Co-op, I saw somewhere that they'll order stuff if there's demand for it.
    http://www.dublinfood.coop/html/non_food.html

Never seen a working .coop domain before

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

Have you tried Doctor Bronner's?

http://www.drbronner.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Anyone know where to get real carbolic soap? The stuff that still has phenol and not just carbolic fragrance! A good product to have on hand for keeping sick rooms clean etc.

Advertisement