Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a Virtual Network

Options
  • 09-06-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm not in IT by profession, but have always had a keen interest. I'm A+ certified, and spend a lot of my free time tinkering with websites. The one thing I have no comprehension of is Windows Server Software.

Is it possible to create a virtual server (VMware?) on my laptop, using the trial versions of Windows Server that are available? And is it further possible to also create a client virtual workstation on my same laptop that can be "networked" with the server?

I do have a few old desktops and laptops that I could network together and setup a client / server network on, but as this is something I will probably spend very little time on I would rather not have the clutter and hassle of running many machines. All I really want is one client and one server, and to maybe create an Active Directory setup and create user policies / permissions.

This is purely to satisfy my curiosity, and I realise that such a setup, if possible, won't be an accurate representation of a full network.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah easy enough to do

virtualpc or virtualbox rather than vmware

virtualbox allows the guest os to access USB

virtualpc will have more pre rolled images

don't forget you are going to need lots of ram to have the host OS and two guest OS's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Thank you for your reply Capt'n

I will look up VirtualPC and Virtualbox. Why would they be better options than vmware?

The main problem I had was how would the virtual PCs be networked together, but it seems that that is all managed by the software.

I have 12 Gigs of RAM in my i7 laptop so hopefully I won't have much bother.

Thanks again.

Advertisement