Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Moving to Toronto mid august

Options
  • 09-06-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice as I'm booked to go to Toronto mid august on the one year working visa (aiming to stay long term). I'm a female moving alone (obv a bit nervous about it but has to be done) and looking for the best places to get a house share, preferably to have sorted before I arrive over. Know a few people living in Toronto but looking to branch out and make new friends over there. Basically looking for decent area, good transport links and good social scene... and safe!

Also, with regards looking for jobs in marketing, not sure whether anyone would know the best places to search and send resumes to before moving over. Just to get the ball rolling on the job front before arriving. Have a masters and have worked in digital and event marketing.

Anyone moving over or living in Toronto with any advice (or even moving over alone also) please reply! Much appreciated guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Hi

I'm in the same boat - moving over by myself in mid August. Have accomodation booked until the end of the month so will be looking for somewhere to stay from 1st Sep. From what I've read it seems Jane & Finch is a no go area and Downtown seems expensive but I still have to do a lot of research. I'll be looking for house/apt share as living alone in a new country is not something that appeals to me.

It seems that it's hard to find a job before you go. I'm probably going to look at jobsites the week before I go and start sending out resumes then. I'm not even sure yet what my plans are, but wouldn't mind temping for a while and have some free time while applying for something more permanent.

Boards has been a great source of information for me over the past few months and there are a lot of really helpful people here who have advice for anything you need. I'd have been lost without it to be honest. It's great to hear of another girl moving over alone, most people on here seem to be going in groups/couples.

Would be great to keep in touch as we seem to be in a similar situation. PM me if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/ is a great source for jobs

as for housing ...just google apartment listings in toronto or craiglist

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susiewoozie

coll123 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm in the same boat - moving over by myself in mid August. Have accomodation booked until the end of the month so will be looking for somewhere to stay from 1st Sep. From what I've read it seems Jane & Finch is a no go area and Downtown seems expensive but I still have to do a lot of research. I'll be looking for house/apt share as living alone in a new country is not something that appeals to me.

It seems that it's hard to find a job before you go. I'm probably going to look at jobsites the week before I go and start sending out resumes then. I'm not even sure yet what my plans are, but wouldn't mind temping for a while and have some free time while applying for something more permanent.

Boards has been a great source of information for me over the past few months and there are a lot of really helpful people here who have advice for anything you need. I'd have been lost without it to be honest. It's great to hear of another girl moving over alone, most people on here seem to be going in groups/couples.

Would be great to keep in touch as we seem to be in a similar situation. PM me if you want :D

Hi! Literally in the exact same mindframe as you it seems in terms of jobs, accomodation, etc. Know a people living over there, told them im coming over but really dont wna bum n stay with them, moving away is for branching out and making new friends i think and wanna be focused in getting a place as soon as get over there. Where you planning on staying until the first sep? Im considering just booking into a hostel, main reason goin mid month is due to leases mainly beginning on 1st of each month.

Ya been finding boards.ie great for info, was more on edge til i began reading a load of helpful posts. I'll pm you there, be great to keep in touch while we're making arrangements!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susiewoozie

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/ is a great source for jobs

as for housing ...just google apartment listings in toronto or craiglist

Thanks a mil, been seeing that website pop up on a few threads on here, will def be using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

you're a girl you'll get work lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Hi! Literally in the exact same mindframe as you it seems in terms of jobs, accomodation, etc. Know a people living over there, told them im coming over but really dont wna bum n stay with them, moving away is for branching out and making new friends i think and wanna be focused in getting a place as soon as get over there. Where you planning on staying until the first sep? Im considering just booking into a hostel, main reason goin mid month is due to leases mainly beginning on 1st of each month.

Ya been finding boards.ie great for info, was more on edge til i began reading a load of helpful posts. I'll pm you there, be great to keep in touch while we're making arrangements!

Hi forgot to mention earlier booked accomodation through www.airbnb.com. I wasn't too keen on the hostel route so instead have booked an apartment for 5 nights and a room in a apt for 6 nights. The idea of it is great, it's local people who have spare rooms/houses/apts who rent them out on a nightly basis. Was much more expensive than a hostel but will have my own space and comfy places to crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ashyh

HI

I have just recieved my working holiday visa, I was supposed to go to over with somebody but my friend did not apply on time and missed the visa allocation this year so it looks like i am going solo also. I will probably head over the end of August/Labour day weekend.
    If you have any advice for me it would be great, I am just starting my research now but its very daunting going as a solo female. Although this thread has been very helpful. I have loads of questions, which airlines are the best, any ideas of where to stay when you first arrive, does anyone know any recruitment agencies for finance work? It would be great to chat to people in the same position as me. Very exciting but also scary! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ashyh wrote: »
    HI

I have just recieved my working holiday visa, I was supposed to go to over with somebody but my friend did not apply on time and missed the visa allocation this year so it looks like i am going solo also. I will probably head over the end of August/Labour day weekend.
    If you have any advice for me it would be great, I am just starting my research now but its very daunting going as a solo female. Although this thread has been very helpful. I have loads of questions, which airlines are the best, any ideas of where to stay when you first arrive, does anyone know any recruitment agencies for finance work? It would be great to chat to people in the same position as me. Very exciting but also scary! :)

Where abouts are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ashyh

Hey I think I am going to head to Toronto, I heard it has better prospects for finance work.

Advertisement