Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a Club

Options
  • 09-06-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

I've been watching cricket since 2005, but I've never played. I'm 16 atm, and with a long summer ahead, I've decided I'd like to join a club.

However, because I've never played, I'm a bit nervous. Surprisingly, I'm not too worried about actually playing. My main concern is this: I'm assuming most clubs here don't see many new members at my age group (correct me if I'm wrong). Because of this, I don't really know how the team I'd join would react. I just have a feeling that the whole team will have been playing from a very early age, and my "outsiderness" will be emphasized if they don't usually get new members.

Also, smaller things. Like what should I wear on my first time there? What would teams usually wear for training? Whites, tracksuits? I'd rather not turn up in a grey tracksuit and tshirt to see everyone else in their whites or something else.

I realise these things probably vary from club to club, but any insights would be helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Clubs are delighted with new members of any age, so don't worry about that.

Whereabouts are you, so we can recommend local clubs with strong youth sections & coaching.

At nets people wear anything they like that's comfortable, so don't worry about that. Whites are only required for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

My closest club is Malahide, but Clontarf wouldn't be much further, so it's really between those two.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm generally nervous about joining clubs, teams etc but usually I'm ok in the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Either of those two would be grand for you, they both have good coaching structures and plenty of teams to play on. Make contact with them through their websites, or simply go down to the ground any weekend and ask about joining up to play. Tuesday and thursday evenings would be a good time too.

Thanks, I think I'll go for it some time next week. Just hope this rain goes away!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Please let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Don't wear whites to training, nobody wears whites to training after the age of 12 ;)

Seriously though, cricket clubs are very social institutions and will always be very accommodating and welcoming of new members. They will also have tonnes of spare kit for you to use as you start out, and if you are anything like me, when you turn up without gloves in your bag.

Enjoy it, hope it goes well.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to it now. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Ok, update here. I went to Malahide today to check it out. I was told to come down next Wednesday when the 3rd, 4th and 5th mens teams train. One of them mightn't end up as my team because I might end up on a youth team, but it'll be good to get the whole thing started.

Can't wait for Wednesday now, should be good craic.

Conchir wrote: »
    Ok, update here. I went to Malahide today to check it out. I was told to come down next Wednesday when the 3rd, 4th and 5th mens teams train. One of them mightn't end up as my team because I might end up on a youth team, but it'll be good to get the whole thing started.

Can't wait for Wednesday now, should be good craic.

Nice one, I hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement