Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds caused insects to shrink, says new study

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I always believed insect sizes were due to oxygen percentages in the atmosphere. But pressure from birds may have had an effect I suppose. Not something I have ever thought about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    I always believed insect sizes were due to oxygen percentages in the atmosphere. But pressure from birds may have had an effect I suppose. Not something I have ever thought about.

But what about pterosaurs? Don´t you think they should have had an effect on insects too before birds did? I mean, it's not like the earliest birds were needle-tailed swifts...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm guessing that 150MYA when the oxygen levels went up pterosaurs and birds were already in the ecological niches that giant insects would have 'wanted' to fill. In other words there was simply no ecological room for giant insects as the skies, trees etc. were already full.

Advertisement