Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations of books as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I'm trying to ressurect my knowledge of Irish o_o but I didn't like anything we had to read in school. What are some really good books written in Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Bump.
    Wouldn't mind reading a book as gaeilge myself. Typical- I've just finished the leaving cert so I technically never have to speak the language again yet I've suddenly developed an interest in it :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What kind of books are you into? :) Poetry, novels, history, mythology, etc. Narrow it down a bit and it'll be easier to recommend books from your chosen genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Ooh an Irish novel would be nice :) know any good 'uns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭MaryKirwan

What kind of books are you into? :) Poetry, novels, history, mythology, etc. Narrow it down a bit and it'll be easier to recommend books from your chosen genres.

I hadn't noticed any replies in this till now o_O Novels and poetry mostly. The more conversational and vernacular the language the better, since that would be easier put to use probably. The only Irish literature I have to learn from at present is a poetry book and a TV leaflet that came through the door with Gay Byrne's mug stamped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

MaryKirwan wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed any replies in this till now o_O Novels and poetry mostly. The more conversational and vernacular the language the better, since that would be easier put to use probably. The only Irish literature I have to learn from at present is a poetry book and a TV leaflet that came through the door with Gay Byrne's mug stamped on it.
    I've a few I could recommend, although if you're only starting I'd recommend short stories instead of novels (in fact the short story is an art form in Irish more so than English in my opinion).

Any dialect or area you'd prefer the writer to have/be from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have a read of "Dunmharu ar an Dart" by Ruaidhrí Ó Báille, great read and easy enough to follow

Have a look here too, I've bought a few books from them and they are grand to deal with.
    www.cic.ie

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

rosualt wrote: »
    Ooh an Irish novel would be nice :) know any good 'uns?
    MaryKirwan wrote: »

Have a quick browse here and see if anything stands out. :)

Litríocht > Úrscéalta

Filíocht

Déagóirí (This might be a handy stepping stone towards full novels for those who haven't read a large text in a while)

I'm sure there are a few other sites as well, but that's the one I've been using myself recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"An Beal Bocht" by Flann O'Brien is worth a read.

Thanks, these are all good. I don't mind TOO much about dialect, but the most widely spoken words would be best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Look up Coiscéim and Alex Hijamans. He seems to write in a very easy-to-read way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭an langer

It depends on what level of Irish you have 'at the moment', because you may find it will get better and better the more you read :) If you are in Dublin, I recommend you visit the Siopa Leabhar in Harcourt Street. It's a bookshop full of Irish books, run by Conradh na Gaeilge. The staff will be more than helpful introducing you to new titles and genres. :-)

an langer wrote: »
    It depends on what level of Irish you have 'at the moment', because you may find it will get better and better the more you read :) If you are in Dublin, I recommend you visit the Siopa Leabhar in Harcourt Street. It's a bookshop full of Irish books, run by Conradh na Gaeilge. The staff will be more than helpful introducing you to new titles and genres. :-)

I am, so I'll go look:) I imagine I'll be coming out with something at the challenging level of The Three Little Pigs though, since I'm fairly abysmal at Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

uch wrote: »
    Have a read of "Dunmharu ar an Dart" by Ruaidhrí Ó Báille, great read and easy enough to follow

Read this book back in School and ordered it from Amazon on Wenesday, It arrived yesterday and to my suprise im flying through it,

Want to read Sean Og De Poar's (Galway Footballers) book but its a bit beyond me yet,

another book i remember from School was something like "eachtaru I Glasgow" (Incident in Glasgow ?). I rememebr it being fairly good and should be similiar in difficulty to Dunmharu, anyone know of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Desmond Maguire, ar slí na firinne anois, wrote that far too rare commodity years ago: a bilingual, parallel text Irish-English book. It was The Short Stories of Pádraic Pearse. Very good for improving your Irish.

Back in 1916, coincidentally, Paul Walsh/Pól Breathnach did a similar parallel Irish-English text for Tadhg Ó Cianáin's (ob. c. 1614) The Flight of the Earls. I found this particularly good for learning Irish.

I don't know of any other parallel texts, but there should be more.

Advertisement