Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashed car

Options
  • 08-06-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

About 9 months ago I bought a car from a dealer, and today after having it in for servicing the mechanic told me it had been involved in a crash and repaired. The dealer didn't mention this to me at any point, but it was one of the few things I forgot to ask.

Is there anything I can do? The mechanic says the car is physically fine and safe, but I'm really not sure I want to be driving a car I know was crashed.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If it was repaired competently, I wouldn't worry unduly.

Any idea how serious / extensive the damage was?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CComPtr

Apparently the crumple zone wasn't repaired particularly well, and one of the oil/coolant pipes was twisted from the impact. I suppose I'm happy to trust that it's mechanically ok, and it hasn't given me any trouble since I got it. It's more that I'd never have bought it had I known at the time and aside from feeling stupid for not asking that, I'm annoyed that I wasn't made aware.

I don't suppose I'd have any leg to stand on regarding trying to get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

CComPtr wrote: »
    Apparently the crumple zone wasn't repaired particularly well, and one of the oil/coolant pipes was twisted from the impact. I suppose I'm happy to trust that it's mechanically ok, and it hasn't given me any trouble since I got it. It's more that I'd never have bought it had I known at the time and aside from feeling stupid for not asking that, I'm annoyed that I wasn't made aware.

I don't suppose I'd have any leg to stand on regarding trying to get my money back?

Highly unlikely in the extreme I would think, after 9 months sure how can you prove it wasn't crashed since you bought it? The dealer is not obliged to divulge the car's history unless you specifically ask and since you didn't ask you're on your own imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

If it was repaired properly nothing to worry about really, loads of cars out there have been crashed and repaired and know one is any wiser

Advertisement