Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not going back to work after maternity leave

Options
  • 08-06-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Ok so the other half doesnt want to go back to work after her maternity leave is over,she would have been paying enough prsi contributions,about 8years,what is her best chance of getting state benefits,will she have to wait 3months while its processed,any advice would be helpfull,i work full time,thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If she has paid her contributions of prsi then all she has to do is go in and start a claim once her maternity benefit is over, once its JSB there is no wait, its processed immediately and should come through very quickly.

I did the same when I finished maternity and it was there the week after so no problems.

Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy and hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

edellc wrote: »
    If she has paid her contributions of prsi then all she has to do is go in and start a claim once her maternity benefit is over, once its JSB there is no wait, its processed immediately and should come through very quickly.

I did the same when I finished maternity and it was there the week after so no problems.

Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy and hope it all goes well.
    Surely you have to actually and activity seeking a job to claim jsb?

Yes you do, but if you have paid your contributions then you can claim JSB while looking for a job

Maybe her job doesnt suit her new situation, everyone is different

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

That sounds a bit easy,will they not be questioning her on how she will be available for work and sending her on ridiculous courses,i know they are ridiculous as i was unemployed a few years back and was sent on many of them

No once she is claiming JSB, if however she is unemployed for a year and goes on JSA then its means tested and depending on what you get she may get nothing at all

I dont know what you want me to say, it was as straight forward as that for me, I am now seeking suitable employment that doesnt expect me to work 50/60 hrs a week which I was doing before baby came along

• Advertisement

Ok i was just of the understanding that if you leave work voluntarily then you will generally be waiting for 9 to 12 weeks to get anything,

Suppose it just depends on where you are however I was in bishop sq in dublin a very very busy office and no problems, just told them that my employer wasnt willing to reduce my hours to the normal 30/40 hr week and if I didnt do as he asked then he didnt have a job for me, no women in his work place ever got pregnant or had children and if they did they never came back but thats another story

We would be the bishop st office aswell,i walk past it alot,always looks packed,dont think the oh employer would be willing to reduce her hours either,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 meb 14

I am in a similar situation myself. I was working in a shop before going on mat leave, it would be a physical type of job. A lot of lifting, standing, bending and reaching. Basically quite strenuous.
    Since I had my baby I have being having problems with back and abdominal pain. It is mainly triggered by doing house work and anything strenuous.
    The nurse in my local GP advised me for my own sake to avoid that kind of work.
    I have not returned to work and I have applied for job seekers benefit. I have a degree also as I finished college just before I had the baby. I have being looking for work in that area and applied to lots of places, even got in contact with someone I knew in one place where I applied. I have also registered with FAS.
    I am now waiting nearly 8 weeks, and I have no money. I had submitted everything and they said that its in a back log.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That seems a very long time for JSB, where I live it can be sorted within 2 weeks, but that was a good few years ago.

Did the office mention a means test? Maybe there is an issue with PRSI contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

manutd83 wrote: »
    Ok i was just of the understanding that if you leave work voluntarily then you will generally be waiting for 9 to 12 weeks to get anything,
    Correct you will not get any payment for the first 9 weeks.You may be asked to show that you have child care in place in order to take up any work you may be offered.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That seems a very long time for JSB, where I live it can be sorted within 2 weeks, but that was a good few years ago.

Did the office mention a means test? Maybe there is an issue with PRSI contributions.

No didn't mention anything, they said I have enough contributions paid aswel. They are been awkard I think. They even sent a letter to where I used to work asking what was my day to day duties, and this was after I provided them with a doctor's letter explaining why I couldn't go back to that job.
    One person working there even suggested I should go back to that job, and that they should accommodate me. I told her it was a small shop there is 5 people working there so its not like if it was in Tesco or Pennys where I could be moved to tills with a chair. That would be perfect. Everyone has to muck in with everything because people would be by themselves sometimes or with deliveries you would need two people.
    She got smart then and told me she knew what shop work was.
    I don't know what Im meant to do work till I do some serious damage. I don't see why I should put my own health at risk. Im willing to work just not in a physical type work.
    There just been so awkard, I've told them I have no money and a baby to support but they could not care less.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Sounds like they are following the guidelines laid down for Jobseeker's Benefit, which are:
    Physical health may be a legitimate reason to restrict the range of work for which a person holds him/herself available. This is particularly so where physical build/health is a condition upon which an offer of work is dependent.

If there is any doubt about the person's availability, the Deciding Officer should seek further information from the person such as:

the type of work which s/he is seeking and the reason(s) for any restrictions placed on the type of work which s/he is prepared or able to accept,
    whether there are domestic or other commitments which limit his/her ability to accept a suitable job offer.
    (b) Unreasonable Restrictions
    A person may be regarded as not being available for work if s/he imposes unreasonable restrictions on:

the nature of the employment,
    the hours of work,
    the rate of pay,
    the duration of the employment,
    the location of the employment,
    any other conditions of employment which s/he is prepared to accept.
    In any case where a Deciding Officer is of the opinion that the person has placed unreasonable restrictions, s/he should be interviewed and given the opportunity to respond. In some cases a person may demonstrate that the restrictions are not unreasonable and that s/he has a reasonable prospect of getting full-time employment despite such restrictions. For example, a person may be qualified as a baker, but may have ceased seeking work in that field upon developing dermatitis. Employment which would bring that person into contact with agents that trigger the condition would obviously not be suitable employment. Such a restriction on availability may, in the circumstances, be regarded as reasonable.

The following are some of the circumstances where a person may be considered NOT to be available for work:

S/he is looking for a particular type of work only. As previously stated, after a period of unemployment, a person must be prepared to accept any employment for which s/he is qualified.

If a person states that s/he is unwilling to take up full-time work but is looking for part-time work only, e.g., 3 days per week or morning/evening work only, this could be regarded as an unreasonable restriction on his/her availability in terms of the hours of work s/he is prepared to accept.

You have said you are not capable of certain types of work, and therefore your case is being investigated, as per proper procedure.
    If you are stuck for money while your claim is pending, you can go to your Community Welfare Officer for assistance in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

yes you have to be available for all types of work.

maybe illness benifit would be better if you cant take up certain types of work?

cee_jay wrote: »
    Sounds like they are following the guidelines laid down for Jobseeker's Benefit, which are:
    Physical health may be a legitimate reason to restrict the range of work for which a person holds him/herself available. This is particularly so where physical build/health is a condition upon which an offer of work is dependent.

If there is any doubt about the person's availability, the Deciding Officer should seek further information from the person such as:

the type of work which s/he is seeking and the reason(s) for any restrictions placed on the type of work which s/he is prepared or able to accept,
    whether there are domestic or other commitments which limit his/her ability to accept a suitable job offer.
    (b) Unreasonable Restrictions
    A person may be regarded as not being available for work if s/he imposes unreasonable restrictions on:

the nature of the employment,
    the hours of work,
    the rate of pay,
    the duration of the employment,
    the location of the employment,
    any other conditions of employment which s/he is prepared to accept.
    In any case where a Deciding Officer is of the opinion that the person has placed unreasonable restrictions, s/he should be interviewed and given the opportunity to respond. In some cases a person may demonstrate that the restrictions are not unreasonable and that s/he has a reasonable prospect of getting full-time employment despite such restrictions. For example, a person may be qualified as a baker, but may have ceased seeking work in that field upon developing dermatitis. Employment which would bring that person into contact with agents that trigger the condition would obviously not be suitable employment. Such a restriction on availability may, in the circumstances, be regarded as reasonable.

The following are some of the circumstances where a person may be considered NOT to be available for work:

S/he is looking for a particular type of work only. As previously stated, after a period of unemployment, a person must be prepared to accept any employment for which s/he is qualified.

If a person states that s/he is unwilling to take up full-time work but is looking for part-time work only, e.g., 3 days per week or morning/evening work only, this could be regarded as an unreasonable restriction on his/her availability in terms of the hours of work s/he is prepared to accept.

You have said you are not capable of certain types of work, and therefore your case is being investigated, as per proper procedure.
    If you are stuck for money while your claim is pending, you can go to your Community Welfare Officer for assistance in the meantime.

I have tried the community welfare officer but my boyfriend earns just above the cut of point.
    The procedure in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired. Its not going to support myself or my baby. My boyfriend's job also means hes away a lot and last week he was away. He had a €100 left after paying the mortgage. He was able to give me €50, formula is €10,nappies €7, and some new vests as Id none left that fit were €8. Id only €20 left for the weekly shop. I shop in the cheapest places and I don't go out. I can't cut back any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

all you have to do is prove that you are looking for work either something similar to what you were doing or something new. provide letters that you have applied for other jobs. realistically you are not going to be paid to sit at home after maternity leave which is quite a common occurance. you have to be available for work and if you start picking and chosing they will only gladly refuse your claim that you are not genuinely seeking work. we would all love to have stayed at home when our babies were born but have to work to pay the bills. maybe you should have gone back and seen what would have happened and then deicded after that. if you are living with someone then you are regarded as a couple and rightly so and couples share bills and contribute to their children also.

maryk123 wrote: »
    all you have to do is prove that you are looking for work either something similar to what you were doing or something new. provide letters that you have applied for other jobs. realistically you are not going to be paid to sit at home after maternity leave which is quite a common occurance. you have to be available for work and if you start picking and chosing they will only gladly refuse your claim that you are not genuinely seeking work. we would all love to have stayed at home when our babies were born but have to work to pay the bills. maybe you should have gone back and seen what would have happened and then deicded after that. if you are living with someone then you are regarded as a couple and rightly so and couples share bills and contribute to their children also.

So basically you are suggesting I should have gone back and worked like a donkey. I would have made my abdominal and back problems 100 times worse. Then I could not even lift my baby or take care, and would certainly not be able to work. I have to say that is very ignorant of you.
    I have been working since I was 16. I moved out when I was 19. Put myself through college and worked. This is my first time claiming anything, and is a genuine claim.
    I have applied to lots of places. I got in contact with people I knew working in one place to see if they could do anything. I have registered with FAS. I have provided them with the letters aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Having read some of the posts here I think the people telling you to go back to your previous job are wrong. If you have back trouble and are doing a lot of lifting and physical work in the job you will just make the problem worse.
    Due to the high number of claims social welfare seems to be slow at the moment. You should ring your social welfare office and ask when your claim should be processed. You should ask them also where and what time your local community welfare officer is available. You can go to the local welfare officer and they may be able to give you money which will come off the money your due.
    Good Luck with the job hunt and hopefully you will get a new job soon.

fab lady wrote: »
    Having read some of the posts here I think the people telling you to go back to your previous job are wrong. If you have back trouble and are doing a lot of lifting and physical work in the job you will just make the problem worse.
    Due to the high number of claims social welfare seems to be slow at the moment. You should ring your social welfare office and ask when your claim should be processed. You should ask them also where and what time your local community welfare officer is available. You can go to the local welfare officer and they may be able to give you money which will come off the money your due.
    Good Luck with the job hunt and hopefully you will get a new job soon.

Thank you I hope so too.
    I understand that its just so frustrating when I have done everything they require. The system in my opinion needs to be re evaluated. If they gave out vouchers or something like that for food and stuff for the baby it would help.

Oh Stop with the food and voucher crap, that would not help maybe you but not me or many others...you get childrens allowance that is what is suppose to provide for your baby and if used wisely it does....my 140 goes a very long way on my toddler, all his nappies, wipes, nappy bags, sudocream, his cereal, liga, soothers and formula for the month and lots of other little bits too and its not from aldi or lidl, when I get it I go straight to tesco and buy his stuff for the month

What is not helping you is your social welfare coming through, however your OH is getting paid above what is deemed the required amount for a couple on social welfare so you are getting more than 326 a week, again that is way more than me and you have a mortgage which is something that I never had the opportunity to get due to circumstances....so do what the other posters have said and ring and ask when it will be processed

and stop moaning and go ask your OH for more money each week, you are getting way more than what I get and with budgeting and smart money planning we survive, a job would be nice but we get by for now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement