Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

List of 30+ Year Old Cars?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Just wondering if anyone has a fairly comprehensive list of cars that qualify for classic insurance? Not stuff that go back to the mid 50s or whatever. Something from the late 70's to early 80's that could still be used as a daily runabout.

Half thinking about getting something, but need my mind opened as to what's available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

An old Porsche would be good craic...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any car over 25 years qualifies for classic insurance :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Soarer wrote: »
    Afternoon all.

Just wondering if anyone has a fairly comprehensive list of cars that qualify for classic insurance? Not stuff that go back to the mid 50s or whatever. Something from the late 70's to early 80's that could still be used as a daily runabout.

Half thinking about getting something, but need my mind opened as to what's available.

Some insurance companies will insure 15 year old cars as classic. Unless its classic tax you're after you should be able to go newer if that's what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i should think any car made in the seventies or eighties would qualify. I can't see anyone lisitng them comprehensively though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Anything pre 92.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anything pre 92.
    Uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I have my grandparents 1992 Nissan Primera they gave me Insured as a classic car with FBD E133 Third party only.. YOu have to own and drive a main car aswell which i do and you have to show the insurance. (ring FBD classic insurance)

Grandparent stopped driving last year and no1 wanted the car. They bought it brand new 20years ago and only has 80,000miles and garaged everynite :D I drive it about twice a week as i get bored with my own car. Rather that than go out and spend E500euro on a ****ty i-fone.

Anything pre 92.
    Uncalled for.

WTF?

He asked a question and I answered, Pre 92. Anything 20 years or older qualifies for classic insurance.

Try Classic tax and see how you fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 micheal1995

they say Classic=25 years old
    Vintage= 30 years

alot of companies will have different rules

be careful some will specify only for vintage/classic runs and shows so u should ask it depends on the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Ah sure you could be listing all night :p What about an Austin a40 or a Hillman hunter with a towbar ... would anyone of them suit you :confused:

Try Classic tax and see how you fare.

Classic Tax at 30years old.

Now explain to me where the OP mentioned classic tax?

I don't have to explain anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

General rule of thumb
    Classic insurance pre 92, most classic car insurance companies quote cars over 20 years old on a classic policy, some will take a 15 year old
    Classic Tax, €52 per annum no matter what engine size based on a 30 years rolling on date of first registration or maybe manufacture, not sure
    NCT exemption , pre Jan 1 1980 registration

These 2 books cover just about every car sold on the UK and probably Irish market in the 70s and 80s
    7617.jpg

51o4nkFIcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't have to explain anything.

So WTF did you comment on my posts for?

Sorry OP about the hijack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

People really should read the thread about classic insurance in the charter linked somewhere on top of this forum.

Advertisement