Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was one rapper you could sit down and have a pint with.

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭

I'm copying this from the boxing forum, i liked the idea of it. :)
    Basically you can name one rapper and only one rapper, it's a tough one. they can be dead or alive, because i know pac will be picked.

I'd have to pick Ice Cube. he just seems like such a nice lad, and he's been through some shít and he's witnessed the evolution of hip hop and what it's turned out to be today.

And his afro is top notch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Chamillionaire would be my first choice. I've been obsessed with his music for going on 6 years now. Unfortunately, he doesn't drink so he's out.

My second choice would probably be Big Boi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

LUUUDDDAAAAAA!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Aesop Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Rihanna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Briando wrote: »
    Rihanna

Trying to get her drunk ay? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Briando wrote: »
    Rihanna

She's not a rapper, try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

B Dolan

Because his rap is intelligent and he's well funny

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rather than just naming someone, in an effort to promote some discussion, can you say why you would like to sit down with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ah this is a hard one, well just off the top of my head I'd say Joell Ortiz, he's just one of those rappers that seems like a fun guy

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

50 Cent. He has been my favorite rapper since I was about 15, and he has come from nothing and accomplished so much, and he is pretty funny. Pity he doesn't drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Would have loved to have gone out for a load of pints with O.D.B.I'm sure it would be a pretty unique experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Dr Dre for me, I'd have so much to ask him everything from nwa and snoop to 2pac and death row right up to eminem and 50.

The mans a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Why is it that a few rappers mention don't drink.

Like maybe some there don't drink much, but why don't the ones mentioned above not drink at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Like maybe some there don't drink much, but why don't the ones mentioned above not drink at all?

Couldn't tell you. What I do know is that it's probably the reason they're so successful. If I didn't drink then I'd be partnering Robbie Keane up front tomorrow against Croatia.

After last nights concert I'm gonna add Jigga to my list. The man is the epitome of cool. So many questions to ask him about his youth, the drug dealing, Biggie, the rumoured 2 day writing of the Blueprint, his "retirement", and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

2pac, no question and no second thought and I don't think I could list all the reasons.

Pac had his music, his films, his legal issues, his screenplay, his beefs and lots of stories I am sure about J Jackson Micky Rourke and others he worked with over the years.

Not to mention his work ethic and his politics and just general outlook that you could have years of conversations with him.

Second to that would be Chuck D, KRS-One, Rakim or K Lamar*.

Chuck, KRS and Ra are all beat MCs and have been around and have worked with a lot of people and are all quite thought provoking and political.

Sage Francis would rank very high on the list as I have been into his music for years and he just seems like a nice guy and very interesting character and has been around for a while too.

*Hiiipower is very very pac-esque in fact it is essentially a more mainstream thought out mature thug life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

RZA because he'd have some wild stories and he's one of the more intelligent rappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yer man from the Celtic Crew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Even though Slug is my favourite rapper and a few beers with him would be something to remember, I would love to sit down and share a (non-alcoholic) beverage with Brother Ali.

He seems like a real smart, down to earth dude and I'll probably learn something from him. Not to mention probably the most honest guy in the game. Spoke to him for a minute last month at his Manchester show and dude was just so humble!

Immortal Technique would be one as well, as long as he keeps his "ra ra motherfu*ker this motherfu*ker that" bravado sh*t at home and speaks like the intelligent man that he is.

Tech is too much of a preacher for me to want to have a pint with him, he'd try and brainwash me into religiousness. And that is one thing i dont stand for, religion being forced upon people who have no need or interest for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Chuck D.

• Advertisement

as far as 50, he's talked a lot about it most recently to pries morgan.
    “I don’t actually use drugs. I got a chance to watch a lot of my mother’s sisters and brothers at different periods experiment with the use of drugs or alcohol and I see them respond so differently that I stay away.”

He has tried alcohol, but says he doesn’t drink any more. “I’ve had an experience that made me paranoid because of it and I stayed away from it following that”.
    or K Lamar*

even this early in his career man? id have a few questions myself but id rather wait til he's a few albums in and a few more tales to tell.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I would have to say Q-Tip.

He seems like an intelligent and down-to-Earth guy.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Tech is too much of a preacher for me to want to have a pint with him, he'd try and brainwash me into religiousness. And that is one thing i dont stand for, religion being forced upon people who have no need or interest for it.

I hope your parents knew that at your christining ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

even this early in his career man? id have a few questions myself but id rather wait til he's a few albums in and a few more tales to tell.:)

Yeah even this early. He is clearly very interested in 2pac and has a lot to say plus I have an interest in California and the history which he speaks on a lot.

Plus he is only around a year or so older than me.

He would be well down on the list though. Chuck, krs, ra, 2pac and sage would be higher up on the list naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

i think i would have to go with Ice Cube (seen it all , done it all ) and after all it was Straight outta compton that kicked off the Hip Hop scene for me

or perhaps KRS-ONE would be interesting

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is a tough decision to make. I'm going to go through a few people mentioned and a few others to try help my decision making.

Ice Cube: It would be great to talk to him, he's been around since the begining of west coast hip hop, you could talk through how NWA formed, the beefs (including Common), his departure, his movies, tv shows, westide connection, Helter Skelter.....it's endless. He also seems like a jolly type fellow. So he would be on my list of potentials.

Chammillionaire - i dont really know that much about him and he's not really stirred up an interest from me, so he's a no.

Luda - Not really for me, he's only released 1 good album and a couple of movie appearances. I dont think he would have enough depth for me to talk to.

Aesop Rock - I would love to sit down and have a chat with him, but, I think that a conversation wouldnt reveal much other than what is known about him, or should I say, what I know about him.

B. Dolan - I had some interatations with him before over FB and he seems like a great guy. I also love his music so he would defintely be on a potential list.

Joel Ortiz - dont know enough about him to want to talk to him

50 Cent - not for me

ODB - hells yes, but i doubt you would get anything sensible from him!

Dre - yes and no, I think that he's too 'closed' to get anything of interest from him.

Jay-Z - Like Dre, i dont think he would reveal much in a chat.

RZA - he would be high up on my list, so much history to talk to him about, even his movies and tv appearances, the inner fighting in the WU. And I could ask him why he got the big dope room in the Wu mansion and U-God got a tiny room with a tiny wardrobe that could only fit 4 'blowy' shirts :)

Slug - I've talked to him before and he's a lovely chap. So I'd rather talk to someone different. I've also talked to Ant briefly before, really nice guy, so i'd probably like to talk to him more than I would Slug.

Brother Ali - I've also talked to him before briefly...actually a couple of times now. But I wouldnt like to have an indepth conversation with him as he is very disiplined in his faith and I htink that would get in the way of him really opening up.

Immortal Tech - doesnt really interest me, comes accross as being too militant.

Chuck D - I'd love to talk to him if he actually dropped his guard and talked. But i dont see that happening.

Q-Tip - High to very high on the list of people i'd like to talk to. So much history and he seems like a really nice dude.

2Pac - I would be keen on this, I'd probably just keep talking to him about Juice and his early years.

KRS One - no thanks, it would be like a sermon rather than a converstaion.

Sage - I've talked to him before, very passionate about everything he talks about and really nice guy.

Here's a few others:

Dessa from Doomtree - just to see if she has a sister of similar age that spent some time in Dublin before.....it's a long story

POS from Doomtree - would love to chat to him, actually, all of Doomtree would be high on my list, especially Cecil Otter as well.

Big Daddy Kane - just because he is a legend and I'd like to hear some of his backstage storeis from touring.

......there are so many I'd like to talk to. But someone that keeps coming to mind over and over again, and this may come as a suprise, is P. Diddy. He would have some stories to tell, pre Bad Boy, starting up Bad Boy, finding Biggie, what happened with Craig Mack, the real stories behind the east/west beef. His TV shows, his lifestyle, his everything. One of the main reasons is that he would really open up and not try to hide anything, so you would get the truth from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Suprised nobody has mentioned Biggie yet, I'd say you could have some deep conversations with that dude or you could keep it light!

He seemed to be a really nice guy under all the Bad boy brovado.

My choice I think would probably be DMX.

Would love to hear the stories personally of him being put into group homes, robbing people, and what led him down the road of drugs.

I really enjoyed his book and try watch everything I see with him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

A pint with a Tayto rapper does me.

Hilarious, didn't know tommy tiernan was on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    RZA because he'd have some wild stories and he's one of the more intelligent rappers.
    Actually changed my mind. Azealia Banks all the way. Sexy bad girl.

Advertisement