Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPF paid to bank

Options
  • 08-06-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm new to the board.

I have been living in Ireland since 09, I'm originally from Wales, lost my job in Sept and now claim OFP.

Anyway I haven't been back to see my family since Jan 10 and would really like to visit home. I checked the Citizens advice website and it states holidays up to 3 weeks can be taken on OFP. From their site.
    One-Parent Family Payment can be paid up to a maximum of 3 weeks while you are on holiday abroad. You must notify the Department in advance that you are going abroad.

I also saw the same thing when I googled and got a thread on here.

So I booked my flights and accommodation, then last week called the SW and asked to have my payments changed to EFT as I'm going on holiday. They told me it couldn't done over the phone. I called into them yesterday only to be told by a rather grumpy lady that OPF is no longer paid to the bank and if I go on holiday my payments will be stopped for the three weeks that I am there.

My friend seems to think that this is a rule for non Irish citizens only to stop fraud but I can't believe that. What can I do, I need to pay for food etc when I'm there and will lose a lot of money if I cancel. Has anyone else heard of this rule about holidays.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q22

I am presuming that OPF works a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

mp22 wrote: »
    If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q22

I am presuming that OPF works a similar system.

You are presuming correctly OPF works a similar system to jsa/jsb the only difference being OPF holiday allowance is 3 weeks.

To address the OPs reference to her friend stating that only non-nationals have their payment stopped and then released on their return this is incorrect ALL OPF/jsb/jsa claimants have their payments to post office stopped while on holidays and they are released for payment on their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marley13

Thank you for your quick and helpful replies.

Can I collect this form from the sw office and hand it back into reception or do I need to wait until the OPF dept opens?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your local SW office will have the form and will be able to tell you where it needs to go to.

Advertisement