Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare when coming home from abroad

Options
  • 08-06-2012 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

I've been working abroad since 2010 (teaching) but want to come home to live come July.

I want to sign on when I come back but am unsure as to my rights. I've been reading on here lots about people being refused social welfare after coming back from abroad. Has anyone else done this that could give me any advice as to my entitlements and the best way to go about getting the dole?

Also should I try to sign on from my parents house which is in Galway or in Dublin where I usually live but I probably won't have my own place til around September and will just be staying with a friend.

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I would sign on from your friends place because if you move home and decide later to go for rent allowance you need to have rented for 6 months,

just have everything ready your p45, closed bank accounts, proof your contract with your house is up-basically that you have closed all links from where you are coming from.

then the question why are you coming home, where is your centre of interest. have you children where are they. open bank account here, sign on with fas, apply for jobs before you come home and have proof ready for them that you are looking for work.

there is a delay but at least if you are prepared.
    hope this helps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seafield

Great. Thanks for your replies :)

Advertisement