Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance stopped abruptly

Options
  • 08-06-2012 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Been getting a rent supplement for a while and it was paid to my back acc. each week.

I don't check the back acc. until I need to pay the rent so didn't notice until this week that I hadn't received a payment for the last 3 weeks :(

This happened before around 3 months ago but when I called the health center the cwo told we they had their computer system changed and that I would get money due the following week and I did.

So I called the health center when I noticed that I got no money on tuesday and was told that every thing had been centralised now and was given another number to call which I did.

I was greeted with "Hello housing dept." and I explained my situation , pps, address, phone number where taken and I was told that the person responsible for my area would be in touch...... fast forward today and 3 calls and 3 leaving of details later.... I'm still none the wiser as to why I was cut off (my circumstances have not changed) and I still have not been "gotten back to"

Other info? I filled in the renewal form in january and that was fine at the time, and I have received no letters etc. to indicate why or what the problem is if any.

Can anyone advise on what I should do next if I get no answer from the hse? rent is a week over due now and the cwo (nice guy) told me his hands where tied now that everything had to go through the "housing dept."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

calex71 wrote: »
    Been getting a rent supplement for a while and it was paid to my back acc. each week.

I don't check the back acc. until I need to pay the rent so didn't notice until this week that I hadn't received a payment for the last 3 weeks :(

This happened before around 3 months ago but when I called the health center the cwo told we they had their computer system changed and that I would get money due the following week and I did.

So I called the health center when I noticed that I got no money on tuesday and was told that every thing had been centralised now and was given another number to call which I did.

I was greeted with "Hello housing dept." and I explained my situation , pps, address, phone number where taken and I was told that the person responsible for my area would be in touch...... fast forward today and 3 calls and 3 leaving of details later.... I'm still none the wiser as to why I was cut off (my circumstances have not changed) and I still have not been "gotten back to"

Other info? I filled in the renewal form in january and that was fine at the time, and I have received no letters etc. to indicate why or what the problem is if any.

Can anyone advise on what I should do next if I get no answer from the hse? rent is a week over due now and the cwo (nice guy) told me his hands where tied now that everything had to go through the "housing dept."

The best people to advise are Citizen's Info. Ithas all got so complicated and it is probably not the first or only query they will have had. NB take care re the landlord; maybe best to inform him of a delay and the reason. Rather than let him think you are simply not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clickypiggy

OP did you get it sorted yet? im having the same problem. rent gets paid directly to landlord and he contacted me earlier to say it wasnt paid for last month. no idea why it stopped either as circumstances havent changed. no letters or contact from anybody.
    will have to ring tomorrow to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

i know in my area they have become very strict about the monthly rent forms that your landlord signs. If these are submitted even a day or two late, then the rent supplement can be stopped til the next month, even if rent supplement paid weekly. It happened me last month, id posted my form to my LL as I pay my rent into her bank acc so no need to see her, and the form for some reason took 8 days to get to her. So when she filled it in and sent it back it was submitted a few days late. My RS was stopped til this month. The arrears was paid directly to my LL last week. It happened last year too but that time my previous LL hadnt submitted the monthly forms in over 2 months before it was suspended.
    OP maybe this has happened in your case? Have you or your LL submitted the monthly forms on time?

MariMel wrote: »
    i know in my area they have become very strict about the monthly rent forms that your landlord signs. If these are submitted even a day or two late, then the rent supplement can be stopped til the next month, even if rent supplement paid weekly. It happened me last month, id posted my form to my LL as I pay my rent into her bank acc so no need to see her, and the form for some reason took 8 days to get to her. So when she filled it in and sent it back it was submitted a few days late. My RS was stopped til this month. The arrears was paid directly to my LL last week. It happened last year too but that time my previous LL hadnt submitted the monthly forms in over 2 months before it was suspended.
    OP maybe this has happened in your case? Have you or your LL submitted the monthly forms on time?

Monthly forms? Is this just in your area? We don't get these and my RA is paid direct to my bank account; oh is this when the ll gets the allowance directly?

We had the forms re the new limits a few weeks ago and I am still waiting for paperwork from the UK re my pension but directed the CWO to the relevant websites and the allowance came through OK this week.

calex71 wrote: »

NB we get a letter in the post each week to notify of payment also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Graces7 wrote: »
    Monthly forms? Is this just in your area? We don't get these and my RA is paid direct to my bank account; oh is this when the ll gets the allowance directly?

We had the forms re the new limits a few weeks ago and I am still waiting for paperwork from the UK re my pension but directed the CWO to the relevant websites and the allowance came through OK this week.

My area has the monthly forms too where the tenant and landlord both have to sign to basically say everything is as it was last month, to prevent people pulling scams by renting somewhere and then moving out home etc but still claiming rent allowance as no-one is the wiser.
    Also can't get it paid into the bank in my area depending on which CWO you get (pain in the arse as I'm a full-time student and had to take time off every week to collect it and get the forms in on time)

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My area has the monthly forms too where the tenant and landlord both have to sign to basically say everything is as it was last month, to prevent people pulling scams by renting somewhere and then moving out home etc but still claiming rent allowance as no-one is the wiser.
    Also can't get it paid into the bank in my area depending on which CWO you get (pain in the arse as I'm a full-time student and had to take time off every week to collect it and get the forms in on time)

That can't be right; the provision is there for bank direct payment.
    Not up to each CWO

I would contact the Supervisor for the area. Thinking back I did actually. Getting too old to jump through hoops so I did not ask just told them and sent the bank details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Graces7 wrote: »
    That can't be right; the provision is there for bank direct payment.
    Not up to each CWO

I would contact the Supervisor for the area. Thinking back I did actually. Getting too old to jump through hoops so I did not ask just told them and sent the bank details.

I did try to be assertive, but she gave me a "Be glad you're even getting it" look and it was dropped. I know I was blatently refused a bank payment that I requested since obviously I was in college, and my friend living on the other side of town with a different CWO was given it automatically and he is neither on FAS nor BTEA. Strange world

Advertisement