Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple monitor setup advice!

Options
  • 07-06-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Right men I just got a new monitor, bringing my total to 2. It is VGA, but the problem is I only have one minidisplay port (as we all do) on my MacBook Pro. Obviously I have done my research and I know there are external USB->External Graphics Card->VGA adapters. My question is, regardless of price (obviously no madness) which is the best one of these to get, keeping in mind I want my graphics card to last more than a week??

P.S. If anyone has had bad experience with these things, let me know stat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

A new monitor that only has VGA, made in China I assume?

You are going to downgrade your output considerably through the ( digital ) mini displayport if you want to use a ( analogue ) VGA display. Even with cost of the many converters you will end up with restricted resolution. There are
    mini displayport to VGA adapters and VGA splitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Wouldn't mind using VGA. I get HD resolution using VGA monitors in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm also curious about running a second external monitor of a 2011 MBP 15"

At the moment I have one external running through a display-port to HDMI convertor.

What are my options for adding a second one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

I already have a Minidisplay Port to VGA adapter for my current external monitor, but I want to add ANOTHER VGA screen via USB. I know it is possible, I have seen the devices, I just want to know which one you would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I know it is possible, I have seen the devices, I just want to know which one you would recommend

I have this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4517

The problem with all these USB to DVI/VGA/HDMI, whatever adapters is that they all use DisplayLink technology:

http://www.displaylink.com/

They are not bad at all on a Windows PC (depending on how powerful the PC is of course) but they kind of suck on a Mac. That's because the Mac drivers do not have any 3D acceleration/OpenGL and so anything other than light desktop stuff will simply not have a smooth enough frame rate.

If all you want from the 3rd monitor is to keep an office app, browser, etc visible, they're fine - but forget video, anything graphically intensive, etc.

• Advertisement

What do you guys think of this product?: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC2015V/

What do you guys think of this product?: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC2015V/

That's yet another DisplayLink adapter - it will have the same shortcomings I mentioned in my post above...

J-blk wrote: »
    That's yet another DisplayLink adapter - it will have the same shortcomings I mentioned in my post above...

Yes but USB isn't a patch on MinidisplayPort so isn't this really the best I can hope for?

Yes but USB isn't a patch on MinidisplayPort so isn't this really the best I can hope for?

I think there's a Matrox product that splits a DVI or VGA signal that's probably better but almost certainly more expensive.

As for the USB adapters, like I said, it depends on what you expect from it - general desktop stuff you'll be happy with but if you expect video or anything with fast movement on that display, the DisplayLink adapter will be very disappointing.

What resolution is the monitor you want to run BTW? The adapter you linked to must be an older chip as it only seems to go up to 1280x1024. There are now DisplayLink adapters that can do much higher resolutions.

What resolution is the monitor you want to run BTW? The adapter you linked to must be an older chip as it only seems to go up to 1280x1024. There are now DisplayLink adapters that can do much higher resolutions.

I actually don't have the monitor yet, a friend is giving it to me, all I know is its VGA :) Im sure its not too much bigger than 1280x1024 though...

When it comes to the health of my Mac tho, is it safe to use these things? It won't fry my video card, even though there is also an external chip?

Also, how will it appear on my mac, will it appear just as a screen would in the 'detect displays' settings??

• Advertisement

I actually don't have the monitor yet, a friend is giving it to me, all I know is its VGA :) Im sure its not too much bigger than 1280x1024 though...

When it comes to the health of my Mac tho, is it safe to use these things? It won't fry my video card, even though there is also an external chip?

Also, how will it appear on my mac, will it appear just as a screen would in the 'detect displays' settings??

No chance at all of it "frying" anything :). It's just a bog standard USB device after all - it has no effect on your existing graphics card either.

And yes, you simply get another display in Displays under System Preferences as far as I remember.

Thanks for your help. I was just worried because of all those horror stories about the nVidia chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

You'd need something like this to do the job properly

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/

Cost is €149 from the matrox store. They have a version that supports 3x external monitors as well.

DVI outputs though so you'd need an adapter fro you VGA display.

Ok I just received the adapter in the post yesterday. I am absolutely delighted with it! I am running a 1024x768 (my smallest monitor - its the same res as iPad for a reason) at 75Hz. There is slight lag and a slightly below-par framerate (i'd day 20-22fps) but it works like a dream!

I got this if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YB4DVU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Advertisement