Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingscourt line

Options
  • 07-06-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I found this on YouTube, dated 10years ago today, was this really the last train to the Co Cavan town did the weed killer train travel the line again after that year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R46dujSZ4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I found this on YouTube, dated 10years ago today, was this really the last train to the Co Cavan town did the weed killer train travel the line again after that year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R46dujSZ4

Brilliant video - I notice that at the time of the video the track was in quite good condition with stretches of concrete sleepers! I know that the kingscourt line has been disconnected at navan but is the line intact (apart from overgrowth etc) apart from that ?

Anyone know when the last special ran over the branch ?

The line is intact apart from the disconnection at Navan, but the level crossing gates have been removed and replaced with regular farm gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Millem wrote: »
    Brilliant video - I notice that at the time of the video the track was in quite good condition with stretches of concrete sleepers! I know that the kingscourt line has been disconnected at navan but is the line intact (apart from overgrowth etc) apart from that ?

Anyone know when the last special ran over the branch ?

Those sections of concrete sleepers are limited to a few of the level crossings and the very odd panel mid section. I understand that a Permanant Way Inspection Car drove the line in 2003 and 2004 while a road rail digger done a bit of clearing up work in 2009 but that's been it since the weed sprayer train in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i believe IE were told to leave the line down and not to lift it, but why did they disconnect it from the network? it would be technically not leaving the line fully down surely? it isn't going to re-open anyway so thats probably why they did it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Not only is it disconnected at Navan, but you might remember this this incident where a bridge was "removed", and not replaced since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

MoeJay wrote: »
    Not only is it disconnected at Navan, but you might remember this this incident where a bridge was "removed", and not replaced since!
    Theres a picture of the bridge in this thread on IrishRailwayNews, looks like that truck completely removed the bridge http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/49800/Truck-demolishes-railway-bridge#reply-49800

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yeah, there are also track panels dumped on the railway at various points near Navan, from what I've gathered.

Honestly I don't think there's any use for this line except as a cycle track, best thing to my mind is to make sure the alignment is protected.

SeanW wrote: »
    Yeah, there are also track panels dumped on the railway at various points near Navan, from what I've gathered.

They are actually there to prevent itinerants from stopping on the line again; a few caravans actually parked on the line at Navan a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 simon_24

The idea for a cycle track probably comes from the west - the old Westport - Achill trackbed has been converted to a cycle track walking trail with great success, recently winning an European award, it could make a great tourist attraction and amenity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    does anyone know if there is any progress on this project??

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Hi..
    does anyone know if there is any progress on this project??

On what project?

On what project?
    Probably means the cycle track, forget about bike tracks, get a load of this, Im in floods of tears, put that bridge back and bring back the gypsum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURBvQkTXn8&list=UUVIs2zBc5NVn2tXquvgmIlA&index=1&feature=plcp

Probably means the cycle track, forget about bike tracks, get a load of this, Im in floods of tears, put that bridge back and bring back the gypsum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURBvQkTXn8&list=UUVIs2zBc5NVn2tXquvgmIlA&index=1&feature=plcp

I'll see him his supposed cycle track and raise him http://www.irishrail.ie/media/10_3.7N01_1001-1NavanRailwayProposedAlignmentMap1.pdf :D

Until the proposed Navan rail extension is abandoned completely and the line onwards to Kingscourt is formally abandoned by CIE (Which won't happen anytime soon), the cycle track won't happen.

Health & safety didn't exist when that Kingscourt line was open, no police to fine that old dear doing a ''man's job'' not wearing a high vis operating the level cross:D in that video clip

Health & safety didn't exist when that Kingscourt line was open, no police to fine that old dear doing a ''man's job'' not wearing a high vis operating the level cross:D in that video clip

Believe it or not, that old dear was employed as a gatekeeper on the line; I think she did Poles and the two main road crossings. The train traveled so slow that she could close three gates on the line! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

i cross this rail twice every day at wilkinstown,got out and walked up a bit of it one day too,so sad to see it not been used

Advertisement