Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly sick cert while waiting DA?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

My SWO told me to call up to him to get set up with payment while I await disability allowance claim to be decided.

This could take months as I understand.

So I went up today and he wasn't there, but another lady was instead.

She told me that they will pay me weekly through the post office which is fine, but that I need to drop up a weekly sick cert from my doctor "every" week!! :confused:

This is also fine, but I'm going to have to pay €20 each time I pick up the cert from the doctor I'm told?

Is this totally necessary to have to drop in a sick cert each and every week and if so then surely I have to be reimbursed the €20 each week?

My usual SWO never mentioned anything about a sick cert before, so I don't know what to do apart from get the cert sorted for next week and take it from there.

Anyone else know anything about this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Social welfare certs from you GP are payed for by the state ie.the one where you fill in your name and pps number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You have to get the cert each week or you will not be paid end of, thems the rules

also your doctor should not be charging you 20 a pop, that's ridicules when I was on IB the receptionist filled in the form every week for me and then I posted it off never paid a penny other than the initial appointment, even the postage is free post

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bluestrawberry

the certs you need are not the ones the doc writes out on white note pad, they are normally yellow social welfare certs that the receptionist fills out. you just go in and tell her you need a social welfare cert and she fills in whats wrong with you on it, and signs it! you just free post it to dublin, address is on cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It sounds like they are looking for you to submit certs for Illness Benefit while you're waiting for your decision on Disability Allowance.

You should not have to pay to get those certs unless you have to pay for the initial doctors visit.

If you're confused, clarify with the CWO exactly what they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

the certs you need are not the ones the doc writes out on white note pad, they are normally yellow social welfare certs that the receptionist fills out. you just go in and tell her you need a social welfare cert and she fills in whats wrong with you on it, and signs it! you just free post it to dublin, address is on cert.

Well the SWO said that I have to drop it up to the office every week and that's what I have to do.

I rang the doc's and the receptionist said she'd have cert ready for me every monday to pick up. I just want to know before I go in there to pick it up will I have to pay for it.

Seems to be two different answers though as one says I have to post it and then I was told just drop it up to SWO every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You don't have to post it.
    You can, but you don't have to.

If the CWO asked you to drop it up to them, then drop it up to them. They will forward it on to the proper section.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

What payment were you on before applying for Disability Allowance?

If you have the stamps, then it may be better to be applying for Illness Benefit. If you don't have the stamps, and were on a Jobseekers payment, then your Jobseekers payment is supposed to continue while your DA claim is processed (but they never tell you that).

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I've just been asked for the same thing. Four months after starting to get SWA while my DA claim is processed. Seems they forgot to ask for this originally. FYI - Its likely that your initial DA claim will be refused, unless you clear the bar by miles. Its their way of weeding out the 'iffy' claims. Was a process instituted by the last government. There's a Social Welfare Dept report online detailing this.
    Your claim might take 18 months+ to process, if you have to go through the medical review and appeal process. I know their guidance says a few months or whatever, but this is fiction. I'm just getting to the review stage, about three/four months+ after my initial refusal. My SWA and other reliable sources told me the appeal could take a year, following the 'fast track' medical review :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

My SWO told me to call up to him to get set up with payment while I await disability allowance claim to be decided.

This could take months as I understand.

So I went up today and he wasn't there, but another lady was instead.

She told me that they will pay me weekly through the post office which is fine, but that I need to drop up a weekly sick cert from my doctor "every" week!! :confused:

This is also fine, but I'm going to have to pay €20 each time I pick up the cert from the doctor I'm told?

Is this totally necessary to have to drop in a sick cert each and every week and if so then surely I have to be reimbursed the €20 each week?

My usual SWO never mentioned anything about a sick cert before, so I don't know what to do apart from get the cert sorted for next week and take it from there.

Anyone else know anything about this situation?

Your doctor is paid for the issuing of the cert by the state. From Department Social Protection site:

Note:
    Your doctor should not charge you for a medical certificate if a medical examination has not taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1

Spoke to my SWO yesterday, who confirmed that my GP is paid by the govt to provide these certs, so they ought not to be charging twice :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement